The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 23rd, 2020, 5:05am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   how to patent
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: how to patent  (Read 3134 times)
M. Arthur Auslander

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: how to patent
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19th, 2004, 6:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dear Penny Ballou,

I don't understand the last reply. My thesis is that JUST GETTING A PATENT can be a waste of time money and worry. What is worse it can be a source of victimizing niave inventors who place hopes of a fortune on a patent document that may be valid but valueless.

There can be value even in an avoidable patent, but my thesis is DON'T WASTE TIME MONEY AND WORRY on getting a patent unless there is a VALUE in what you do.

Thus a weak patent on a commercial product may be valuable, even if the patent is avoidable. An individual inventor with a weak patent usually just spends money and gets no value.

« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2004, 6:39am by M. Arthur Auslander » IP Logged

M. Arthur Auslander
Auslander & Thomas-Intellectual Property Law
3008 Johnson Ave., New York, NY 10463
7185430266, aus@auslander.com
Reality Check® ELAINE's Workshop®
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #21 on: Jan 19th, 2004, 11:14am »

Dear Mr. Auslander,

Do you really have to post the same exact answer to every single question on this forum irrespective of relevance?  Many of the questions here have nothing to do with whether it's worthwhile to get a patent in the first place, yet that's precisely the question you prefer to answer on a daily basis.  Perhaps you should contribute to the FAQ section of this site and then reserve your "complete waste of time and money" answer for the questions to which that answer might actually be relevant.

Just a thought....

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
eric stasik

director, patent08

WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 20th, 2004, 12:36am »

Dear Mr. Ivey,

With all due respect, sir, your last post was uncalled for. There are many people who do not visit this site as often as you and I and Mr. Auslander. Morbid redundancy is a risk of posting often - here or on any other blog.  

Mr. Auslander makes a good point which honestly cannot be repeated too many times. In my humble opinion, that is. When discussing patents, even tangentially, it is always worthwhile to ask yourself WHY you are thinking about applying for a patent.  

Your posts are one of the reasons I visit here as often as I do. The majority of your comments are well thought out, on topic, and consistently informative - even for a know-it-all such as myself.  

It is important to maintain an exceptionally high degree of civility among the participants to prevent these boards from disintegrating into a shouting match and making people feel unwelcome - having been shouted out of my share of sites (for my radical pro-patent beliefs) I am perhaps overly sensitive to it.  

If I am out of line for expressing this view, I ask you to kindly excuse my outburst. I had a late night preparing a client proposal and the words just weren't coming. I just stopped over here for a brief diversion.  

Regards,

IP Logged

eric stasik
director

http://www.patent08.com

patent08
patent engineering,
business development,
and licensing services
postbox 24203
104 51 stockholm
sweden
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #23 on: Jan 20th, 2004, 12:02pm »

The appropriateness of continuing this discussion on-list is a bit dubious, but I'll address your post on-list since your comment was on-list.  We should probably continue the discussion off-list.

In terms of civility, I perceived Mr. Auslander to be badgering Penny Ballou with his daily "complete waste of time" message.  I know Penny to be a valuable contributor in this and other forums.  At least once in this thread, he was rather rude and insulting to Penny.  

In addition, I count no less than 5 posts by Mr. Auslander in this thread alone that getting a patent can be a complete waste of time and money.  How many times should that be posted in a single thread?  I would argue less than once on average, because many questions in this forum have nothing to do with the decision to get a patent.  If the question does pertain to whether to get a patent, I think raising the point once is enough, unless it generates follow-up questions/discussion.  I believe that the lack of follow-up questions/discussion suggests that people here "get it."

We all have a pet points vis-a-vis patents.  I have mine and I call that article "The Most Important Thing You Need to Know About Patents."  And, for the record, it has nothing to do with "complete waste of time and money".  But I don't work it into every single post of mine.

I don't wish to be unkind, but due to the similarity of Mr. Auslander's posts, I believe that the full benefit of his contribution to this forum can be achieved by reading 3 or 4 of his posts and ignoring the rest.  I believe he is certainly capable of contributing more, but for whatever reason he seems to chose not to.  And, I don't feel the same way about his posts in the trademark and copyright forums.  

Lastly, repeating one's favorite post in case newbies might be lurking about is generally considered inappropriate behavior in an on-line forum (a violation of "netiquette").  That's why FAQs exist -- to avoid redundancy and to promote free flow of current and relevant information free from traffic of old, redundant ideas.

In summary, I was reacting to what I perceived to be incivility to Penny.  My intent was to uphold the value of this forum.  If I inadvertantly detracted from the value of this forum, I apologize.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
eric stasik

director, patent08

WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 20th, 2004, 12:14pm »

Mr. Ivey,

I stand corrected. Your point is well taken and in light of them my remarks can only be seen as intemperate.  

Please accept my apologies for mouthing off.  

Regards,

IP Logged

eric stasik
director

http://www.patent08.com

patent08
patent engineering,
business development,
and licensing services
postbox 24203
104 51 stockholm
sweden