The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 23rd, 2020, 5:11am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   how to patent
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: how to patent  (Read 3136 times)
Penny Ballou
Re: how to patent
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 2:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Mr. Auslander,  

One para of my email was scrambled by your server it added the word "thingy" and deleted the word Harry; the it cut the line off; and placed instead a comma. I know not why. The para should read:  

==========
On the other hand, I realize your time is limited and you certainly are not in a position to review every link any Tom, Dick, and Harry posts. Consequently, I appreciate your forthrightness and merely seek to set the record straight while reiterating that I am not in the habit of making a fool of myself let alone reciting statutes or case law.

===========

IP Logged
PBallou
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 2:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I give up!  

I should have typed "Dick" in my correction and not Harry. Nevertheless, it cut off Dick and replaced it **again** with "thingy?" (not even a word for Gawd's sake).  

Apologies as I slink off into a corner.
IP Logged
M. Arthur Auslander

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 9:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dear Ms. Ballou and BMH Esq,  

I believe that just getting a patent can be a waste of time, money and worry. Without feeling arrogant, my legal experience convinces me that just being smart and being able to solicit patents can be unfair to many inventors.

I don't think I have met more than one or two inventors who have had the skill and insight to write their own patent application with the legal and practical reality to get adequate protection or know when to give up or even get weak patents for a practical commercial reason.

Intellect is not the entire answer. Knowledge of the law, legal instinct to cope with weakness helps to maximize the possibility value out of patents.

When I started to practice law, patents did not even occured to me. One of my best friends and his brother were patent lawyers. They urged be to take the patent bar and gave books to study.

One of them wrote the patent for the polarized folded metal electrical plug, featured on the 200th anniverary poster for the Patent Statute. He became my first law partner. My next partner wrote the book on Chemical Patents. He started the update and left this world for me to finish publication as co author.

Jerry Lemelson, used to write his own patent applications. When he came to me for help I could see he was a genius but that he could not write a good patent. It took patent lawyers and his genius to make the multi multi million he finally made just before dying.

My brag is that I'm not rich, but straight and hardworking and with a conscience that allows me to sleep at night. I've put my client's interest ahead of my own, within reason.  

Essentially for an inventor to get value he must have the advantage of more than the words of the Statute and a patent search.

Then the facts of life are that just because you have a good invention and even a good patent, it still might not make money.

I cannot see into what is going to happen in the real world, but I do know that there are some roads that end at a legal cliff and can warn inventors to at least be careful.

Just reading law or writing claims may get patents but even good patents may not prosper. There is my personal friend with a better device NOT winnng a 50 Million Dollar prize.  

OK if you want go read your law write you patents, it will keep you from the $100 million annual scammers where only one in 10,000 get back more than they pay.

M. Arthur Auslander  
Auslander & Thomas-Intellectual Property Law Since 1909
3008 Johnson Ave., New York, NY 10463
7185430266, aus@auslander.com
ELAINE's Workshop®
E arly L egal A dvice I s N ot E xpensive™
Reality Check®
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2004, 9:53pm by M. Arthur Auslander » IP Logged

M. Arthur Auslander
Auslander & Thomas-Intellectual Property Law
3008 Johnson Ave., New York, NY 10463
7185430266, aus@auslander.com
Reality Check® ELAINE's Workshop®
eric stasik

director, patent08

WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 9:51pm »

Dear Ms. Ballou,

Apparently, this blog software contains rather crude censorware which blocks the use of some words. I assume you wrote tom, richard and harry and the server stipped away the nickname for harry and inserted thingy instead... (but not on preview.)  

if it were not so annoying would be really funny.... here let's try....

dick

regards,

IP Logged

eric stasik
director

http://www.patent08.com

patent08
patent engineering,
business development,
and licensing services
postbox 24203
104 51 stockholm
sweden
eric stasik

director, patent08

WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 9:52pm »

yup. that's it.  

i will resist the temptation to try other words......

regards,
IP Logged

eric stasik
director

http://www.patent08.com

patent08
patent engineering,
business development,
and licensing services
postbox 24203
104 51 stockholm
sweden