The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 26th, 2020, 8:47pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   To sell idea for patent
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: To sell idea for patent  (Read 1380 times)
Carlos Conde
To sell idea for patent
« on: May 3rd, 2004, 3:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello forum:

The first, pardon me, if my english it´s bad (i´m spanish).

I design a aritmetic binary digital circuit ....but i don´t have money for patent it at world level (it will be correct)...then i want to sell it , I try to contact with Intel, but  the patent attorneys of Intel reject my mails with they antispam program and so I don´t to contact.... anything suggestion ?...

Thanks you....
IP Logged
eric stasik

director, patent08

WWW Email

Re: To sell idea for patent
« Reply #1 on: May 3rd, 2004, 10:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Senor Conde,

This is a very good question.  

Large corporations such as Intel do not generally receive unsolicited "ideas." At my former employer, when I received such letters - about once or twice a month - I would not read them and send them back to where they came from along with a note encouraging the person who sent it to file an application for patent.  

The problem is this... I did not want to risk that my employer be accused of stealing the idea. If, per chance, our research department was independently  working on a similar idea and it showed up later in a product, the person who sent the idea would naturally assume it was stolen from her. It happens all the time.  

A company like Intel has hundreds of researchers and developers who are working continuously on developing new ideas. The risk that someone outside the company would have an idea similar to something under development is generally greater than the chance that this person would come up with something not already known inside the company.  

Maybe some good ideas are lost this way, but the risk of being accused of stealing an idea is greatly diminished.  

My rule was that a published patent application was the only thing I would accept. With a published application no non-disclosure agreements are necessary.  

In this way the risk was no greater than the ordinary risk to which my employer was exposed every day. A patent application also shows a certain amount of seriousness on the part of the outside developer. Anytime I received a patent offered for license or sale, I would distribute it to the appropriate people and we would carefully consider it. In several cases, we either agreed to a license, or bought the patent outright.  

I do not know what Intel's policy is, but I would assume it is similar. I know this is probably frustrating for outside inventors, but it is simply a matter of necessary caution on the part of Intel's patent department.  

What I would do is this. Look into the USPTO's register for attorneys and agents and search on Intel.  

http://www.uspto.gov/cgi-bin/attorney/atty.cgi?intel&select=1000& ;submit=SEARCH

Pick up the phone and call one of their patent attorneys and see if they are willing to offer any suggestion to you. (Generally, lower registration numbers reflect more senior level attorneys.)  

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Kind Regards,

Eric Stasik
IP Logged

eric stasik
director

http://www.patent08.com

patent08
patent engineering,
business development,
and licensing services
postbox 24203
104 51 stockholm
sweden
M. Arthur Auslander

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 4th, 2004, 5:23am »

It is not easy to get a patent that is good enough to be bought. It is not easy to do anything until you have a patent, and then the claims of the patent have to be broad enough not to be avoidable.

It is not easy to find a patent lawyer that will handle a matter on a contingency. Many good inventions are lost because of these truths.

If you do disclose to a company, it has to be in inconfidence. Very few companies will take a disclosure. NIH, is not the National Institure of Health, it is the corporate answer to outside inventors, "Not Invented Here"

This may seen cynical but unfortuately it is the way things are.
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2004, 5:26am by M. Arthur Auslander » IP Logged

M. Arthur Auslander
Auslander & Thomas-Intellectual Property Law
3008 Johnson Ave., New York, NY 10463
7185430266, aus@auslander.com
Reality Check® ELAINE's Workshop®
eric stasik

director, patent08

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: May 4th, 2004, 6:04am »

Dear Mr. Auslander,

You also make a very good point. When the risk is infringing another's patent, "Not Invented Here" is - ironically - absolutely the best policy.  

As you have explained many times in this forum - there is a difference between what is good business and what is a good idea. What is technically best, is not always economically best. The trick for companies is to balance the two.  

For me, it's what makes this job fun.  

Regards,

Eric Stasik
IP Logged

eric stasik
director

http://www.patent08.com

patent08
patent engineering,
business development,
and licensing services
postbox 24203
104 51 stockholm
sweden
Carlos Conde
« Reply #4 on: May 4th, 2004, 6:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello again:

I understand now a little better the situation. The case is that this idea to be able to patent it, with the width that Mr. Auslander comments, she would need an entire family of patents covering the different possibilities.

Overalls for that when an idea is basic (at elementary level), it implies that all those that later on lean on in this they are also beneficiaries. The range that covers my idea overcomes twenty patents starting from the basic one (and there will be others that I have not still considered).    

It is of imagining that if I cannot cover at world level economically a patent, I less still can to cover 25 patents.... that it would be the real benefit of the corporation that bought it.  

On the other hand I was commenting with my wife the answer of Mr. Stasik and he/she explained to her (with respect to that the company to which I seek to contact can develop a similar idea parallelly) that is very difficult in this case, so much that almost it would be impossible, and I explained to her with an example:  

If we consider the invention like a land full with trees, where to invent is equal to cut a tree, then we have that to date of today's technology the land is of cut trees (gotten inventions) and trees in the horizon without cutting drawing a line that we can call, current. Then the inventors toil in cutting the following trees for the line that he/she reflects to the horizon (behind all cut one is already = invented in the past), because well the investigators of the corporations have like goal to cut those trees that are before their view. My situation on the other hand is to already look for in the land cut the roots of those trees that they ignore that they believe that it can no longer improve more that is already accepted as completely on to the overdraft, as something impossible and where to work there is to lose the time...  

The cows eat the grass on the grassland, the bear looks for the same hidden grass under the snow....
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »