The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 26th, 2020, 8:26pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Help!  New to all of this
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help!  New to all of this  (Read 1602 times)
Samantha
Re: Help!  New to all of this
« Reply #5 on: May 12th, 2004, 1:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thank you for all of your help.  I was also wondering if you could patent a different use for an existing product.  The product would need a little tweeking, but it would pretty much be the same.
IP Logged
Samantha
« Reply #6 on: May 12th, 2004, 1:37pm »

I am curious if any of you know of any individuals or companies that help new inventors get started.  I have no money but I know the ideas will sell.  I don't trust those invention submission companies.  Please guide me in the right direction.  Thanks
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #7 on: May 12th, 2004, 3:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This particular forum is about patents -- and that's only one part of the entire puzzle of capitalizing on a new and clever idea.  Other possible pieces of the puzzle include market research, trademarks, licensing, sales (including sales picthes of your idea to potential licensees), and soliciting and taking investments.

One place for you to hang out with other independent inventors is a mail list you'll find at http://inventored.org/.  I have to warn you, however.  The list is dominated by a few bullies.  There are many supportive and helpful people there, but their voices are pretty well drowned out by 2 or 3 "loud" posters.  To me, that fact detracts significantly from the value of the list.  I've demoted myself to lurker status there and we'll see how long I stay.  But you may connect with one or two who you find helpful.

There's another guy, Stephen Keys.  He seems to be doing a speaker circuit here in the SF Bay Area.  He gives a good presentation on his inventions and how he capitalizes on them.  I don't have his site handy, but I'm sure he's on Google or Yahoo!.  He might be "Stephen Key".

Good luck!
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
M. Arthur Auslander

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: May 13th, 2004, 4:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dear Samantha,

It is possible that different uses can be patented. Just finding something that is patentable doesn't mean much unless YOU can use it or it is unavoidably patentable.  

Even then there is no assurance that it will or can be bought from you.

The way to start is to do it yourself, if you can, the chances of being able to sell an idea are not good. You can spend a fortune in legal fees trying and not get anywhere that is why I have the Reality Check®

Most of the companies that I am aware of and even some attorneys will get their fees but that does not put money in your pocket.

From what I see on the board you could trust Mr. Ivey.
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2004, 4:33am by M. Arthur Auslander » IP Logged

M. Arthur Auslander
Auslander & Thomas-Intellectual Property Law
3008 Johnson Ave., New York, NY 10463
7185430266, aus@auslander.com
Reality Check® ELAINE's Workshop®
Samantha
« Reply #9 on: May 13th, 2004, 10:45am »

Thank you all so much.  It has been a struggle to find reliable information.  I really appreciate all of you taking the time to share your expertise.  You have no idea how much it helps.  I felt like no one cared or wanted to help because they had nothing to gain from it.  That website, inventored.org, is very helpful.  Thank you!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »