The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 31st, 2020, 12:32pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Some good ideas
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Some good ideas  (Read 2293 times)
Corey

Some good ideas
« on: May 25th, 2004, 11:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have just graduated college and have been very interested in inventing since I was young.  I always have been very creative and am excited to get going.  I have cleaned out a room in my parents house, made an office, and have gotten some things done.

Over the course of my 4 years at college, I came up with tons of ideas.  I have to be right brained, because other than inventions I have a lot of great business ideas.  Anyway, I have kept track of them in a notebook and computer.  I have about 25 legit ideas.

I have three ideas that would be great for someone like me, just graduating from school with capital under 15,000, to try and do.  They are very simple, and I have made prototypes of them.  Of the 3, I know 2 are bound for commercial success.

I know in the end I will have a patent attorny write the application for me, but I have read NOLO's book on "patenting it yourself" just to get a good background of patents, and to answer questions I have about my ideas.  I am also trying to write a rough draft, just to attempt it, and I think that atleast will let me get a better sense of how my lawyer's will look.

In the end, I am trying to save my money.  I am not going to use any of those gimics you see on TV, I have done thorough research to my knowledge on the USPTO site, and just want to do as much as I can with as little money spent.    

I am now wondering at what I should do?  Other than talking to a lawyer, I have done rough prototypes, researched, read about patents.  The question is what do I do next?
IP Logged
rrroseen

Re: Some good ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 25th, 2004, 6:03pm »

Only you know if Nolo's book has helped you enough for you to do it by yourself.

Examiners, Agents and Attorneys are obligated to say consult with a practioner without hesitation, because every case is different.  And as you have probably guess different in technology and legality.
IP Logged
M. Arthur Auslander

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 26th, 2004, 6:07am »

Dear Corey,

You can  be taken advantage of by an attorney as well as the scam artists.

It is very hard to get a GOOD patent. There are legitimate business strategies that may include legitimate weak patent applications and other things.

You have to find a legitimate registered patent lawyer that you can trust to help guide your needs.  

Usually you are on a fools mission when you do it yourself, although there is one poster on these forums that has beaten the system and is smarter than most, even legitimate lawyers.

If you like you can give me a call. I may also talk about fees but there will be not charge for the call. Don't worry I'm not rich, I get too interested in the clients and the inventions. I do not work on a contingency.  
IP Logged

M. Arthur Auslander
Auslander & Thomas-Intellectual Property Law
3008 Johnson Ave., New York, NY 10463
7185430266, aus@auslander.com
Reality Check® ELAINE's Workshop®
Corey

« Reply #3 on: May 26th, 2004, 6:16am »

Dear M. Auslander,

Thanks very much for the information.  I would love to call you, any help would be very much appreciated.  

"Only you know if Nolo's book has helped you enough for you to do it by yourself. "

Yes, I know, I was just saying I am reading it and trying to do a rough draft for my own personal benefit.  1) I think I will get a better idea of inventions and patents in general from reading it, and 2) I think I would understand the patent that is written up for me better from reading it.

At this point, I have my ideas, I just need to know what to do next.  Do I call manufacturing plants to see how much it would be to manufacture?  Do I contact big companies ( i am thinking no because this is I disagreeet I am sellig and I could be ripped off there).
IP Logged
M. Arthur Auslander

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 28th, 2004, 7:11am »

Dear Corey,

From what you said in the last post I responded to I thought you were on the right path. It's a very rare inventor that can do it themself and do it well.  

I do not expect you will get a good reception from companies and if you do, if they don't give you a confidential disclosure agreement you are in trouble.

What is worse if you have good ideas they may legiimately use the idea without copying from you.

Years ago I had a client that had a story idea that was used by a disclosee to make a movie that didn't infringe the authors rights.
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2004, 9:18am by M. Arthur Auslander » IP Logged

M. Arthur Auslander
Auslander & Thomas-Intellectual Property Law
3008 Johnson Ave., New York, NY 10463
7185430266, aus@auslander.com
Reality Check® ELAINE's Workshop®
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »