The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 20th, 2020, 2:34pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   The inventors dream...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The inventors dream...  (Read 2687 times)
AlphaStarOmega

Re: The inventors dream...
« Reply #20 on: Sep 28th, 2004, 7:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

OMG,

I love this site already, so much so I feel like a kid in a candy store! But in reality I know I am in big trouble because now a days its takes money! Where can a poor man go? Who will look at our creations and see merit in thier concepts? Like the author of this post said the more he learns the more he feels he knows nothing! ME I feel so stupid right now even after 42 years of knowledge and skills I feel like I am like that of an infant!

Here you mentioned paralegals could help in ways, but how? Even they cant work for free!

To me a "TRUE INVENTORS DREAM" IS TO SEE ATTORNEYS SEE A POTENTIAL CLIENT AND BACK THEM UP! In hopes of seeing a better future for both the client and them selves. And to see that all intrest is protected for all parties!  

Right now if I had an attorney who would take my case I would not be posting here I would be making further negotiations with the Mayor of Key West Flordia with my attorney at my side! Knowing its all or nothing!  

but then thats a dream of fancy I presume
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: The inventors dream...
« Reply #21 on: Sep 29th, 2004, 8:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

To answer your question, I think you need to separate two issues -- how to get support to go forward and how to protect your idea.  Too many people combine the two and ask the patent practitioner (attorney or agent) to protect the idea and later share in the proceeds.  Most practitioners have agreed to a deal like that at one time or another -- and most regret it.

The problem is this:  a good patent is essential but insufficient.  To make money, a patent is not enough (but still very valuable).

So, for the support side of the equation, you need to find an investor that you can convince to share in the proceeds in exchange for support.  Patent practitioners are woefully unqualified to evaluate a business plan -- we just don't have any training in valuation of markets and projection market shares and estimating operating costs and profits.  That's what investors do; they evaluate business plans and take calculated risks.  

Unfortunately for you, it's going to take as much work on your part to learn of all the ins and outs of working with investors as it does to learn about intellectual property.

Here's one place you might find those type of resources for an independent inventor:  http://www.inved.org  Join their mailing list.

Their IP expertise and coverage is limited, so come back to this forum for a more thorough discussion of IP.  But they can point you in the right direction for perhaps finding investors or getting by without.  And don't believe them regarding provisional applications -- they've got that topic wrong, in my opinion.

Good luck!
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »