The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 22nd, 2019, 7:53am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Improvement Patents
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent Question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent Question  (Read 5388 times)
Re: Patent Question
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25th, 2005, 12:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have a question and i don't care if my idea gets out but i was just curious.  I've thought up this tv accessory.  It a dome shape object and you can open it up to put dvds in it.  It can probably hold about a hundred or so.  Anyways once you place the dvd's in the system you plug it into the av cable slots.  When the tv is turn on and the proper channel is selected a menu appears with a listing of a the dvd's in the device.  From there you can select your dvd and view it with no hassle.  This gets rid of the dvd cases and saves space in your living space.
Would I be able to put a patent on an idea like this or is it to similiar to a dvd player.
IP Logged
Jonathan

« Reply #6 on: Apr 25th, 2005, 2:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yes, you could file a patent on the device you described. It is certainly statutory subject matter. Whether you would get a patent is another story, of course.

Your described DVD storage / player doesn't sound too dis-similar from a multi-cd storage / player except for perhaps being able to display each DVD related title (or more) data on a monitor (for example a TV). Being able to extract that perhaps textual data is probably not that difficult to do for one skilled in the art, however.
IP Logged
« Reply #7 on: Apr 25th, 2005, 10:13pm »

Thanks alot for the replay and sorry to bother you
IP Logged
John Riely
« Reply #8 on: Aug 23rd, 2005, 8:38am »

Theoretically speaking, if a patentee received a patent on a manufacture, but did not claim the method of manufacture, could someone claim the method?   If that person did get the method, you essentially could not practice the method w/o infringing?   Any thoughts?
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #9 on: Aug 23rd, 2005, 9:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Assuming the prior patent met the legal requirement of describing how to make and use the prior invention, the prior patent would anticipate the latter patent.  The later product-by-process patent would have to claim (and describe) a non-obvious variation of the method of making taught in the prior patent.  That would allow the prior patentee to continue making the product in the old, "conventional" manner taught in the first patent (assuming no other patents covering any aspects of the method).

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »