The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 22nd, 2019, 7:23pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Copyright Form TX questions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Copyright Form TX questions  (Read 1340 times)
Smw421

Copyright Form TX questions
« on: Dec 27th, 2007, 3:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am a member of an LLC, which I formed with a group of fellow students. Two students have completed some literary work for a project of the company. I would like to get the work copyrighted. I want the two students to be credited as the authors of the work, but I want the company to have the rights to the work. I'm not sure how to fill out U.S Copyright Form TX for this. As an example lets say the name of the LLC company is CompanyX, would I just simply write the name CompanyX in the Claimant section of the form?
IP Logged
mactheknife

Re: Copyright Form TX questions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28th, 2007, 10:02am »

First off, transfers of copyright don't happen automatically because you want them to--you have to have a written agreement that says, "I, author A, transfer copyright to Company LLC."  (and the same for author B).  It doesn't have to be super-fancy to be effective.

Then, on the Form TX, you'll put the authors' names in space 2.  Put the company name as claimant in space 4, and indicate that the rights were obtained "by written agreement" or something.
IP Logged
Smw421

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28th, 2007, 3:39pm »

Thanks for the help, I have been trying to get a hold of the copyright office for awhile to get an answer to this question, but could never reach anyone. I have gotten literary copyrights for my own work before, but I had never done anything for a business before with multiple authors.

So I have to fill out a transfer of copyright form first. I don't have the literary work filled with the copyright office though, does that matter? (can i transfer copyright of a literary work that has not yet been filed) Can I send the transfer form and the TX form to the copyright office together, or do I have to wait for the transfer form to be processed first? I'm sorry if these are stupid questions.
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2007, 3:49pm by Smw421 » IP Logged
mactheknife

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29th, 2007, 6:17pm »

There is no "transfer of copyright form".  You can scrawl out the transfer on a napkin for all the Copyright Office cares.  And you don't have to send it to them.  Just fill out and send in the TX form, noting in space 4b that the copyright has been transferred by written agreement.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »