The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 25th, 2020, 12:05am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   is no $gain use of music in public a violation?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: is no $gain use of music in public a violation?  (Read 1335 times)
mactheknife

Re: is no $gain use of music in public a violation
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28th, 2007, 8:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was going by his description that he DJ'ed and karaoke'd "in public," "in our local downtown area during public festivals."  I figure a BMI rep wouldn't get into a private party of his, lol.
IP Logged
PA
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28th, 2007, 10:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Nov 26th, 2007, 3:33pm, Fred wrote:
But given that there's a specific exception for performances at private charity functions of groups like the VFW, you'd think there'd be an exception for just performing music out of the goodness of your heart for anyone to hear.  But there isn't.  

Write your Congressman.

What odd logic.  Don't most people who illegally distribute copyrighted content via torrents and other parts of the interwebs do this out of the goodness of their hearts?  So that's okay?
IP Logged
Fred
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29th, 2007, 10:10pm »

Not odd logic at all.  There's a big difference between distributing a copy of something to bittorrent and personally performing something somewhere.   Particularly if it actually involves playing an instrument, singing a song, or even "scratching" records (which I what I assume the original poster was doing).

Why should there be an exception for VFW fundraisers?  Why should there be an exception for performances that are part of a religious ceremony?  If there are exceptions for those, then why, logically, can't this guy perform for free in a park?
IP Logged
Fred
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29th, 2007, 10:14pm »

on Nov 28th, 2007, 8:04am, mactheknife wrote:
I was going by his description that he DJ'ed and karaoke'd "in public," "in our local downtown area during public festivals." I figure a BMI rep wouldn't get into a private party of his, lol.

They could easily crash the party if he holds it in a park picnic area or something like that.  (I'm thinking of those picnic areas like the ones people reserve to have family reunions.)
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »