The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 2nd, 2020, 10:49am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   wedding photography
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: wedding photography  (Read 1015 times)
ChrisF
wedding photography
« on: Jul 16th, 2007, 3:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I just got married and our photographer says that they own the rights to the images they took at our wedding.  We have not signed the waiver allowing them to utilize our images for competitions, etc.  Do they really own the rights to the images or are the images our property?  The issue primarily stems from the fact that they are charging an excessive sum to order prints and we wish to print them through and online service such as Snapfish or Shutterfly.  They are giving us a DVD with all the images (I do not know if they are protected or digitally watermarked as I have not received the DVD yet) so that they do not have to guarantee an archival copy.  This outfit was rather expensive to begin with, so this behavior is alarming to me and therefore the cause of my concern and question.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
IP Logged
JSonnabend

Email

Re: wedding photography
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17th, 2007, 8:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Absent some contractual term to the contrary, the photographer owns the copyrights to the photos.  Have you read recently your contract?  What does it say, if anything, about these issues?

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
M Frazier
« Reply #2 on: Dec 6th, 2007, 12:03pm »

Did you get any resolution this this?  Our photographer is doing the same thing, except our pictures are now being used as a marketing tool at a large resort.
IP Logged
m frazier
« Reply #3 on: Dec 6th, 2007, 12:05pm »

Did you get any resolution to this?  Our photographer is pulling the same thing...
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »