The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 26th, 2021, 11:20pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Derivative works - confusing question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Derivative works - confusing question  (Read 2588 times)
musicfan

Re: Derivative works - confusing question
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14th, 2007, 11:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 13th, 2007, 8:00pm, Fred wrote:

I recently heard a song, that I'm not hip enough to identify, that used the dah-dah-dah-da-da-DAH-dah line from the beginning of "Under Pressure" by the Police.  Even though it is a relatively small part of the original song, I think the new song is definitely a "derivative work," and I'd be very surprised if I were told that the creator of the new work did not get permission.

Thank you for the response.  Not sure if you know of Vanilla Ice - rap artist popular in the early 90's - but perhaps the song you heard was his song "Ice Ice Baby" in which he sampled and looped the "Under Pressure" bass line throughout.  AND- He actually put the song out WITHOUT getting permission.  And, the case never went to court, but was settled.  Wild.  Not sure if that's the song you heard.  I know one of the songs is being used in a commerical nationwide right now.  I assume whoever uses that song in the commercial DID get permission, though!

Thank you for the responses - all of this has been helpful.  I'm really just trying to expand my knowledge of how sampling works in copyright law.  I've done a lot of reading, but want to start seeing this from all sides, you know?

As for Weird Al, if his music is considered parodies (even though not all of it is) and he is recording these works, from who do you think he ended up HAVING to get permission from?
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2007, 11:49am by musicfan » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »