The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 16th, 2021, 5:11am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Books and ebooks copyright questions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Books and ebooks copyright questions  (Read 1022 times)
evander
Books and ebooks copyright questions
« on: Dec 26th, 2006, 7:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I own many books and have been thinking that it would be neat to have the books on my PC and free up my bookshelves.  If I have already own a book, I do not see why I have to rebuy the same ebook!  That is purchasing the same thing twice to me.  Can anyone explain that to me please?  

Secondly, for the ebooks I do purchase online, how do I prove I purchased it legally?  Do I have to keep every email of every transaction to stay out of trouble?

This ebook concept is really neat but the copyright problems are hard to understand!
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: Books and ebooks copyright questions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26th, 2006, 12:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Dec 26th, 2006, 7:38am, evander wrote:
I own many books and have been thinking that it would be neat to have the books on my PC and free up my bookshelves.  If I have already own a book, I do not see why I have to rebuy the same ebook!

Because the other methods of obtaining the ebook are copyright infringement and you don't want to be an infringer?

Quote:
That is purchasing the same thing twice to me.  Can anyone explain that to me please?
 Apparently it isn't quite the same thing twice.  The one you paid for occupies space on your bookshelf.

Quote:
This ebook concept is really neat but the copyright problems are hard to understand!

I understand that you disagree with what the copyright holder expects.   I suppose my answers are a bit flip.  But I don't believe these particular concepts are really all that hard to understand even if you ultimately disagree.
IP Logged

Isaac
pg1067

Re: Books and ebooks copyright questions
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28th, 2006, 12:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I own many books and have been thinking that it would be neat to have the books on my PC and free up my bookshelves.  If I have already own a book, I do not see why I have to rebuy the same ebook!  That is purchasing the same thing twice to me.  Can anyone explain that to me please?

I'm not sure what it is you want explained to you.  All you've done here is express a personal opinion.  If you want to scan your books into your computer as archival copies, I don't see a real problem with that.

Secondly, for the ebooks I do purchase online, how do I prove I purchased it legally?  Do I have to keep every email of every transaction to stay out of trouble?

HOW you prove it depends on whom you're trying to prove it to and why.  I can't imagine that most people would ever have occasion to need to do this.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »