The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 24th, 2021, 10:32am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Creating Music Backing Tracks
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Creating Music Backing Tracks  (Read 728 times)
Phil Walker
Creating Music Backing Tracks
« on: Dec 20th, 2006, 12:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi all,

I've been trawling through the Internet looking for some sort of clarification but I can't find any peice of text answering my question!

What I need to know is, if I record an arrangement of a copyrighted song (that is if i play ALL the instruments), but leave out lyrics, thus essentially creating a backing track, what do i need to do to make it legal for me to sell them to solo singers, who will then (probably) be gigging with the tracks (further encroachments on PRS??)

Thanks in advance,

Phil
IP Logged
pg1067

Re: Creating Music Backing Tracks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20th, 2006, 2:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm not sure what the last parenthetical in your post means, but you would need a mechanical license from the owner of the musical composition copyright (usually the person(s) who wrote the song or a publishing company to which the writer(s) assigned his/her/their rights).  You may be entitled to a compulsory mechanical license.  You may be able to obtain more information and a license from the Harry Fox Agency (google it).
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »