The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 16th, 2021, 3:46am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Copyright Issue: Selling self-made DVD movies?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Copyright Issue: Selling self-made DVD movies?  (Read 2177 times)
Isaac

Re: Copyright Issue: Selling self-made DVD movies?
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22nd, 2006, 5:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Generally speaking video sharing websites don't seem to know what constitutes infringement.  They rely on the DMCA for protection against copyright liability.   In essence relying the DMCA means that the posters are the responsible for any copyright infringement that takes place.

My experience with a couple of those sites (and I won't name them) is that they contain huge amounts of copyright infringing material.   When the site gets a DMCA request from a representative of a copyright holder, they immediately take down the material.
IP Logged

Isaac
pg1067

Re: Copyright Issue: Selling self-made DVD movies?
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22nd, 2006, 8:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Dec 21st, 2006, 8:51pm, Ivan Chu wrote:
I believe those video sharing websites know what they are talking about. because they have rules and are aware of copyright videos.

They MIGHT know what they're talking about, but (1) as the responses you've received here should indicate, they're wrong in your case, and (2) I can't tell you how many companies like this I've sued over things like this.  Legal information from non-lawyers is inherently unreliable.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »