The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 24th, 2021, 10:16am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Can company sell you book and call it their IP?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Can company sell you book and call it their IP?  (Read 1958 times)
JSonnabend

Email

Re: Can company sell you book and call it their IP
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 10:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Quote:
No, the book is.

Please explain how a book -- ordinary chattel -- can be intellectual property.  Is there a different definition of "book" that fits the context of the OP?

Quote:
We could, but that wasn't the question.

Actually, it was, if one gives a reasonable reading to the OP.

Quote:
It's also very common for standardized test prep companies to include provisions relating to the disposition of their study materials, so there's no mystery here as far as I'm concerned.

Are these terms enforceable?  Are you aware of any case law in which such terms were enforced?

The answers you provide always seem to me to be far too black and white.  Little in the law is that way.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
pg1067

Re: Can company sell you book and call it their IP
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 11:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Dec 19th, 2006, 10:04am, JSonnabend wrote:

Are these terms enforceable?  Are you aware of any case law in which such terms were enforced?

The answers you provide always seem to me to be far too black and white.  Little in the law is that way.

No, I do not know of any cases discussing the validity of such terms.  Do you?  That said, I can't conceive how a contractual provision of the sort described by the poster could not be enforceable.  While they might be procedurally unconscionable in the sense that they are non-negotiable, they certainly aren't substantively unconscionable.  If you disagree, that is your right.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »