The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 16th, 2021, 4:02am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Publisher/author out of business
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Publisher/author out of business  (Read 851 times)
McKinley Rose
Publisher/author out of business
« on: Dec 14th, 2006, 3:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have a book, printed in 1971, which contains an image--a drawing-- that I would like to reuse.  I would like to use the image to accompany an article that will be published in a magazine.  The book's publisher apears to be the book's author/illustrator.  Copyright statement on the book states that the author/illustrator owns the copyright.  The author/illustrator and his wife have both died.  What steps must/should I pursue to gain permission to reuse this image, if any?  (I would of course credit the creator.)  Thanks in advance for your reply!
IP Logged
JSonnabend

Email

Re: Publisher/author out of business
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 7:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

That's a difficult one.  In all likelihood, someone still owns the copyrights to the illustration in question.  You might begin by contacting the book's publisher.  You can also check the Copyright Office, although I'm not certain assignments through succession would be recorded.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
pg1067

Re: Publisher/author out of business
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 4:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

When a person who owns a copyright dies, the copyright passes more or less in the same way as any other property, except that the Copyright Act has a specific hierarchy that trumps anything to the contrary in the author's will or state intestacy law (i.e., the law that determines what happens if a person dies without a will).

In your case, if the author had children, they probably now own the copyright (even if they don't know about it).  If he had no kids, then his "next of kin" under the applicable state law probably own the copyright.  It is unlikely that any of this would be reflected in the records of the Copyright Office.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »