The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 16th, 2021, 3:14am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Copyright?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Copyright?  (Read 4385 times)
pg1067

Re: Copyright?
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21st, 2006, 9:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Dec 20th, 2006, 2:16pm, JSonnabend wrote:
I try to help people here within the ethical boundaries inherent in a public forum.  I assume that's your goal as well.  How would your (non-)advice do that?  Was there some way to read it other than "give up"?

Perhaps we define "help" differently.  It is not my intent to help posters find a way to do what they want to do.  It is my intent to provide information relevant to the subjects of their posts.  I believe that to be helpful because it (hopefully) educates them about the applicable law (and, occasionally, about the practical realities of their situations).  If the conclusion to be drawn from the information I provide is that there is no way in holy hell that they can do what they want to do, so be it.

In the case of this particular thread, you drew the conclusion that I was suggesting that the poster give up.  I believe that's an unreasonable conclusion (if for no other reason than that I neither expicitly nor implicitly suggested any course of action).

I believe it is very helpful to understand, in a situation like this, that the legalities of the situation are beside the point because the decision is entirely within the discretion of someone (or several someones) whose discretion is not constrained by the law (do you honestly disagree that this is the case?).  Recognizing this reality may help the poster frame her argument that the committee should exercise its discretion in her favor.

My goal here is not to recommend a course of action (except that I frequently will recommend that a poster consult with counsel), but to arm the posters with as much accurate information as possible so that they can make their own decisions.
IP Logged
Curious007

« Reply #16 on: Dec 22nd, 2006, 7:09pm »

There is no profit being made here so whats the big deal.
IP Logged
Curious007

« Reply #17 on: Dec 22nd, 2006, 7:10pm »

Isnt financial gain taken as a factor? Ans what about a cease and desist?
IP Logged
Lyza

« Reply #18 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 9:55am »

I think you are absolutely right, Curious.  There is no profit being made here.  This has turned into a legal pissing contest and no one, other than the attorneys, are understanding anything.

Guys, stop being attorneys and start being customer service people.  People come to these forums to try and understand the law.  If you speak ONLY in attorney-speak, which is what this thread has been reduced to, you help only each other.  This is why many people hate going to an attorney like they used to hate going to the dentist.
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2006, 9:55am by Lyza » IP Logged

Lyza L. Sandgren, President/CEO
CanopyLegal LLC
lyza2855@gmail.com
www.canopylegal.com
North Amer. Rep for WebTMS TM Mgmt System
This message should be mistaken for or construed as legal advice.
pg1067

« Reply #19 on: Dec 28th, 2006, 12:36pm »

on Dec 22nd, 2006, 7:09pm, Curious007 wrote:
There is no profit being made here so whats the big deal.

The "big deal" is that the yearbook committee apparently is more concerned about the legality of the situation -- irrespective of the lack of profit -- than you are.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »