The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 16th, 2021, 4:28am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Cartoon character
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cartoon character  (Read 5487 times)
JSonnabend

Email

Re: Cartoon character
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22nd, 2006, 7:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Quote:
Hasn't the "Superman" character been trademarked? I am sure I cannot just use him in a comic of my own without incurring the legal wrath of the owner?

Whether or not the Superman character has been "trademarked" is besides the point.  It is protected by copyright, and so you're not free to "use him in a comic of [your] own".

Also, utilizing a character in a serialized literary work, by itself, doesn't render the character a trademark.  To the extent the article you cite suggests that, it's wrong, period.

The title of a serialized literary work may become a trademark, e.g., the "Superman" comic books, but that doesn't create trademark rights in the character.  The artcle excerpt does mention "the reproduction of Superman's image on various tie-in products," which does create trademark rights in many instances.

- Jeff
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2006, 7:08am by JSonnabend » IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
pg1067

« Reply #6 on: Dec 22nd, 2006, 8:50am »

The others have discussed the distinction between owning trademark rights and registering a trademark.

There are several benefits of registering trademarks.  Among other things, it puts the entire country on constructive notice of your asserted rights.  It also provides certain evidentiary presumptions and additional remedies for infringement.
IP Logged
Andrei
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Interesting points brought up, but I have a question.

As an artist, I am entitled to draw whatever I want and do with the result as I please. So Theoretically i should be able to do a painting of superman (with no reference) and sell it for as much or as little as i choose without givign any credit to the owner of teh character, as long as i do not use the tradewmarked Sueperman logo or any typeface or treatment associated with it.

Am I right?
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #8 on: Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:49pm »

on Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:20pm, Andrei wrote:
As an artist, I am entitled to draw whatever I want and do with the result as I please. So Theoretically i should be able to do a painting of superman (with no reference) and sell it for as much or as little as i choose without givign any credit to the owner of teh character

Actually, Superman is so pervasive that trying to suggest that you'd never seen a picture of the character before is not going to be convincing.    For infringement, even an unintentional reproduction from a picture you cannot recall seeing can constitute copying.  

And of course independent recreation would not be a defense against whatever trademark/Lanham act cause of action the owner can bring.
IP Logged

Isaac
pg1067

« Reply #9 on: Dec 22nd, 2006, 2:08pm »

As an artist, I am entitled to draw whatever I want and do with the result as I please.

That's so overly broad that it is obviously not correct.

So Theoretically i should be able to do a painting of superman (with no reference) and sell it for as much or as little as i choose without givign any credit to the owner of teh character, as long as i do not use the tradewmarked Sueperman logo or any typeface or treatment associated with it.

Am I right?

No.  There are two basic elements to a claim of copyright infringement:  (1) that the defendant had access to the work, and (2) that the two works are sufficiently similar.  Unless you "do a painting of superman" that is so dissimilar to any prior depiction of the character that your painting cannot be identified as "a painting of superman" (in which case, what would be the point?), then you'd be dead in the water.  As the other response noted, no court would take an "independent creation" argument seriously.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »