The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 24th, 2021, 10:40am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Cartoon character
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cartoon character  (Read 5495 times)
Bob777
Cartoon character
« on: Oct 18th, 2006, 11:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi

If a have created some cartoon charcter and publish it on the internet, can someone copy it and develop into a toy or using it as their company trademark?

Also, I understand that Disney always trademark their cartoon characters, can someone explain  to me what is the benefit of doing so? Thank you
IP Logged
JSonnabend

Email

Re: Cartoon character
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19th, 2006, 7:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Assuming the character is you creation, you have a copyright in it.  Your rights include the right to prohibit others from copying your character, using it as their logo, etc.

Regarding "trademarking" a character, there's technically no such thing.  A character may be used as a trademark -- that is, to identify a provider of goods or services -- in which case the trademark may be registered.  There is no way to "trademark" a character, however, by filing paperwork or the like.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Bob777
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19th, 2006, 5:55pm »

Thank you
IP Logged
Deshmukh
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:57am »

Apologies for bumping an old thread but this is subject to further discussion, as I feel it may have an erroneous conclusion.

Dear Jeff,

Hasn't the "Superman" character been trademarked? I am sure I cannot just use him in a comic of my own without incurring the legal wrath of the owner?

Here is a qoute from a resource about this ( cannot post links due to spam guard)

<quote>
Gaines uses the example of Superman comic book, movie, and television serials to show that the serial form can preserve the character as property by making the character into a trademark rather than a merely copyrightable fiction. The reproduction of Superman's image on various tie-in products further consolidates the character's protection as property under U.S. trademark law.
</quote>

P.S. Google "copyrighting cartoon" and click on result titled Business for complete article.

Thx,
D.
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #4 on: Dec 22nd, 2006, 5:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:57am, Deshmukh wrote:
Hasn't the "Superman" character been trademarked? I am sure I cannot just use him in a comic of my own without incurring the legal wrath of the owner?

Jeff's point is that "trademark" is a noun and not a verb.  You cannot trademark anything.  Instead, when you use a distinctive mark in commerce to identify goods and services as coming form a single source, the mark *is* a trademark.  

Often people confuse registration of a trademark with trademarking.    
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2006, 5:57am by Isaac » IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »