The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 18th, 2019, 7:34am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Aquiring Copyright Permission
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Aquiring Copyright Permission  (Read 1851 times)
Jim O'Hagan
Aquiring Copyright Permission
« on: Sep 30th, 2006, 6:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm looking to acquire the permission to use the song "Across The Universe" originally by The Beatles, but a remake by Fiona Apple in a video game. How would I go about doing this?
IP Logged
mactheknife

Re: Aquiring Copyright Permission
« Reply #1 on: Oct 1st, 2006, 9:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You would need to contact the copyright owner of the song (most likely, a music publisher) and ask permission to use it.  I don't know off hand who that is, but you can start at www.harryfox.com and do a search.
IP Logged
Student
« Reply #2 on: Oct 3rd, 2006, 2:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You will need to contact not only the copyright owner of the original beatles song and get permission from them, you will ALSO need to contact Fiona Apple's record company and get a "master license" which allows you to use their recording in your project. I've heard these master licenses can get quite expensive (if they give you permission at all), thus it might be cheeper to get permission for use of the song and then re-record your own version/arrangement using someone with a similar vocal style. This is very common practice in the industry.  

Best of luck!
IP Logged
mactheknife

« Reply #3 on: Oct 3rd, 2006, 3:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 3rd, 2006, 2:48pm, Student wrote:
You will need to contact not only the copyright owner of the original beatles song and get permission from them, you will ALSO need to contact Fiona Apple's record company and get a "master license" which allows you to use their recording in your project. I've heard these master licenses can get quite expensive (if they give you permission at all), thus it might be cheeper to get permission for use of the song and then re-record your own version/arrangement using someone with a similar vocal style. This is very common practice in the industry.  

Best of luck!

Oh right, that too...
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »