The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 25th, 2019, 9:27pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Where Do I Start?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Where Do I Start?  (Read 679 times)
darker_shade101

Where Do I Start?
« on: Sep 26th, 2006, 8:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am a Graphic Designer and I want to go into freelance under a business name. I have a name I've chosen. Do I need to trademark it, copyright it, register with my state as a business? Im just not sure where or how to begin.
IP Logged
Lyza

Re: Where Do I Start?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 9:28pm »

First, this is a trademark issue.  Find qualified IP counsel to help you clear the tradename as available for use before you spend any money applying for protection of a business brand.  Concurrently, make sure you are able to register the business under your choice of names with your Secretary of State's office.  If all is available, file your LLC/Inc. or sole proprietor papers.  You should probably also talk with someone well versed in the procedures of starting up a company.

Finally, I would get a copy of "The eMyth Revisited" which is a fantastic book that details the entreprenurial myth and why beginning businesses often fail.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2006, 9:31pm by Lyza » IP Logged

Lyza L. Sandgren, President/CEO
CanopyLegal LLC
lyza2855@gmail.com
www.canopylegal.com
North Amer. Rep for WebTMS TM Mgmt System
This message should be mistaken for or construed as legal advice.
Isaac

« Reply #2 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 1:14pm »

In many jurisdictions, sole proprietor business names are registered locally (for example with the county) as DBA names, while LLCs, corps, and other registered entities names are registered with the state when the entity is registered.

You need to figure out how you are going to organize your business before you figure out how to register your company name and/or your company.   The default arrangement is a sole proprietorship or partnership.
IP Logged

Isaac
JSonnabend

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 28th, 2006, 7:29am »

Quote:
In many jurisdictions, sole proprietor business names are registered locally (for example with the county) as DBA names, while LLCs, corps, and other registered entities names are registered with the state when the entity is registered.

And just to make things more complicated, if you do business under a name that differs from the LLC/Corp name (which isn't uncommon, actually), you'll need to file your LLC/Corp papers and DBA papers.

Lawyers aren't required for any of this, but their services often are worth every penny in time and aggravation saved.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »