The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 23rd, 2019, 7:50am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Unknown copyright legislation?!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Unknown copyright legislation?!  (Read 1150 times)
Lionel Terson
Unknown copyright legislation?!
« on: Jun 27th, 2006, 6:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Guys, my friend wrote the short essay and in my opinion it is worth publishing it. He claims otherwise and does not think that it would be an easy thing to do.  
He agrees to transfer the copyright on the essay; so I would be able to publish it; however I am little bit baffled and confused by the information provided on the web site www.essayfraud.org( bottom of the page). It claims that this is against American law to transfer copyright on the essay?!  
Can anyone cite any law in support of these assertions, as I have been unable to find any law that supports this claim, though I just want to make sure….

IP Logged
JSonnabend

Email

Re: Unknown copyright legislation?!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27th, 2006, 6:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There is nothing illegal or immoral about transfering copyrights per se.  Indeed, the copyright law expressly contemplates "transferring" copyrights through licenses/assignments.  What authority did the website cite for its position to the contrary?

- Jeff
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2006, 6:21am by JSonnabend » IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Lionel Terson
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28th, 2006, 8:17am »

But this is the most curios point of their assertion; they claim that if the some person transfers the copyrights on the essays or any other research material, then the person violates the law as the student might submit the paper mentioned as his own work, I think that many students might do this and a lot of them actually do

While I deplore essay writing business and think that this is a disgrace of online era, I nevertheless do not think that even in this case, the person that transfers copyright violates any law( it might be unethical yes, but not illegal) . In this case only the unethical students that submit others paper can be accused of plagiarism.  

I think that the copyright law of the USA allows the transferring of the copyright on the essays http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap2.html  

However, they claim otherwise on the grounds that none of the following words appear in the legislation mentioned “cheat, college, credit, essay, fraud, grade, graduate, pass, plagiarism, professor, school, student, teacher, term paper, university, write *”

By the same token they claim that it would be illegal to transfer copyright on the essay, as this action according to them violates “American law” ; however I still can not understand what law will be violated in this case?!
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #3 on: Jun 28th, 2006, 9:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The site owners appears to be particular concerned with plagiarism rather than copyright infringement.   In fact they seem most particularly concerned with foreign outfits that sell allegedly sub-par term papers to students.

I'm not all that familiar with the law regarding plagiarism, but tranferring the copyright of a paper, legally or otherwise would be beside the point.  Owning the copyright to the paper would not address issues related to academic fraud.
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2006, 9:58am by Isaac » IP Logged

Isaac
Lionel Terson
« Reply #4 on: Jun 29th, 2006, 4:11am »

Yes this organization looks like the watchdog for plagiarists; however if you look at the bottom of their home page, they claim that transferring of the copyright on essays is the violation of American law.  

However copyright legislation allows the transferring of the copyrights yet the representatives of this organization claim that the copyright law of the USA does not apply in this case because none of the words mentioned: “cheat, college, credit, essay, fraud, grade, graduate, pass, plagiarism, professor, school, student, teacher, term paper, university, write *” can be found in this law http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap2.html

Is this true that if none of the words mentioned can be found in this law http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap2.html than this law does not apply in the case mentioned?! That is what I would like to clarify.  
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »