The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 27th, 2020, 1:33pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Help!I'm at my wits end...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help!I'm at my wits end...  (Read 790 times)
Christy
Help!I'm at my wits end...
« on: Jun 12th, 2006, 5:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Here's the thing:

I want to sell shirts with words,sayings and phrases that are my original ideas(as far as I know).I want to do all I can to insure that I'm not accidentally infringing on someone's ideas, so how can I find out for sure that no one's already come up with the same ideas?

When I have permission to use someone else's image,can I combine it with any of my sayings or will I need to notify them first each and every time that I have a project?

When I'm combining their picture with my sayings,do I need to use a tm or c to aide in protecting the work with my business name on the shirt?

Am I allowed to get a copyright on the combination of the image/saying  to protect the shirt, even though that is someone else's image that they are allowing me to use?

Finally,where may I get a form to properly ask for permission so that I have it documented?

Any help will be very much appreciated!Thanks.

IP Logged
JSonnabend

Email

Re: Help!I'm at my wits end...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13th, 2006, 7:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 12th, 2006, 5:10pm, Christy wrote:
I want to sell shirts with words,sayings and phrases that are my original ideas(as far as I know).I want to do all I can to insure that I'm not accidentally infringing on someone's ideas, so how can I find out for sure that no one's already come up with the same ideas?

The sayings are in all reasonable likelihood not protected by copyright, so you probably don't have to worry about that.  You can see if anyone arguably has trademark rights in the sayings by Googling them (at least as a "quick and dirty" search).

Quote:
When I have permission to use someone else's image,can I combine it with any of my sayings or will I need to notify them first each and every time that I have a project?

It depends on the terms of the agreement you have with them.

Quote:
When I'm combining their picture with my sayings,do I need to use a tm or c to aide in protecting the work with my business name on the shirt?

Once you combine the picture and the saying, you may have enough for copyright protection, but utilizing another party's images might alter that conclusion.  The sayings alone, assuming usual "t-shirt length", likely do not have sufficient substance to be protected under copyright law.

Quote:
Finally,where may I get a form to properly ask for permission so that I have it documented?

There is no such "form" as far as I am aware.  The type of agreement your contemplating is usually called a license.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Christy
Re: Help!I'm at my wits end...
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 9:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Smiley Thank-you soooooo much.