The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 27th, 2020, 2:30pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   NO ONE KNOWS THE DANG ANSWERS TO THESE ????
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: NO ONE KNOWS THE DANG ANSWERS TO THESE ????  (Read 937 times)
Miss Priss
NO ONE KNOWS THE DANG ANSWERS TO THESE ????
« on: Jun 12th, 2006, 12:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am having the darndest time finding an answer to my questions!! I am writing 2 non-fiction books and cannot find an answer to these questions - does anyone know?!

1. is it legal to use the real first name of people in your life and the events that actually happened to you without them being able to sue you? What are my rights to tell the truth about my life vs. their right to sue me if they don't like what I say? example: My 5th grade boyfriend Tom always wore girls underpants under his jeans.

2. Can I talk about my mother (who is still alive) even if it is in an unflattering light? Where does it become "sue-able"? I mean, people have written books on how their father molested them and weren't sued by the father... how do they get away with that?

3. Can I make references to celebrities in unflattering lights if it's an opinion I am stating: like "Kathy Bates is so fat, her body looks like a marshmellow. I think a man would rather cut it off than have **** with her." etc :-P

4. Can I give my opinion on other people's books? For example if I say "I didn't like reading "The Atkins Diet" it was boring and technical. The diet when I followed it made me feel sick to my stomach. I think it should be retitled to be called, "the sick to my stomach" diet?" etc :-P  

5. Can I use brand names of food example: I think Bisquick tastes better than eggo waffles.

6. If I have a disclaimer saying that this book is my opinion and that anyone reading it must take responsibility for their own actions can I assert opinions safely like: Drinking too much water causes colon cancer.

These are of course far fetched examples of what I really want to do but they get the point across. I will love you forever if you know the answers to any of them. Gosh, the fact that I am even asking makes me wonder if we really have free speech in america. Oh well, better safe than sorry! Thanks SO MUCH! You can post here or email me privately!
Red
Redripeapple@aol.com
IP Logged
JSonnabend

Email

Re: NO ONE KNOWS THE DANG ANSWERS TO THESE ????
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 6:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Generally speaking, you can say truthful things about people using their real names.  You can also offer commentary and opinions about products and artistic works such as books and movies (that's what critics do for a living).  You may have liability for incorrect purported statements of fact.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »