The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 29th, 2020, 1:07am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   How can i protect my jewelry designs?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How can i protect my jewelry designs?  (Read 6249 times)
Jill Bailey
How can i protect my jewelry designs?
« on: Jun 10th, 2006, 2:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I started creating vintage style jewelry this year and started selling on ebay and on my site. On my site I have the whole disclaimer that the designs are mine, and that they cannot be reproduced. I noticed 2 girls selling copies (bad copies) of my pieces - some with my descriptions, jewelry card back grounds and photos.  

Is there a way i can protect my collection? I have a catalog of 2000 items coming out- and i dont want to make life easier for them. What it comes down to - is that they dont have creativity, or design skills...  

Can i create a copyright to protect an entire collection - EX: J Bailey Summer 2006 Collection  
which will protect all of the pieces under that description?  

Any advice would be so helpful.  

warmest regards,  
J Bailey
IP Logged
JSonnabend

Email

Re: How can i protect my jewelry designs?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 6:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Jill -

I don't think there is an effective way to register a blanket copyright for the individual pieces of jewelry.  You'd best file registrations for each piece individually, I believe.  I've never registered jewelry, so I'd have to look into the matter to give a more definitive answer.

As for stopping the infringers, you can take some specific, often effective steps without registration.  One is to write a DMCA take down notice to Ebay.  They're quick to act on those.  Second is to write (or better yet, have an attorney write) a cease and desist letter to the infringers.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
mactheknife

« Reply #2 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 8:51pm »

on Jun 12th, 2006, 6:58am, JSonnabend wrote:

I don't think there is an effective way to register a blanket copyright for the individual pieces of jewelry.  You'd best file registrations for each piece individually, I believe.  I've never registered jewelry, so I'd have to look into the matter to give a more definitive answer.

I know that the visual arts section will routinely register groups of jewelry designs together.  However, they warn us (the other sections) that the registration doesn't mean every particular piece of jewelry is "protected"--they will base the registration on those designs that have enough authorship.  Other than that, they probably have to meet the same requirements that other collections of songs and poems do--that they are owned by the same person(s), etc.
IP Logged
JSonnabend

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13th, 2006, 6:58am »

Well, for the first time I've delved a little deeper into the registration of "groups of related works".  I've successfully asserted copyright infringement claims based on such registrations, but never had to address a jurisdictional challenge under 17 U.S.C. § 411.  I was unfamiliar with section 408(c)(1).  

Mr. Knife, off the top of your head, can you point us to the Copyright Office rules promulgated under 408(c)(1) regarding registering groups of related works?  I'd be interested to see them.

- Jeff
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2006, 6:58am by JSonnabend » IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
mactheknife

« Reply #4 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 7:55am »

The regulation you're looking for is 37 CFR 202.3(b)(3)(i).  There's also case law somewhere that deals with this-- I believe one of the parties is either Wixen Music or Eric Szabo.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »