The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 24th, 2019, 11:08pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Copyright Contracts on the Internet?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Copyright Contracts on the Internet?  (Read 448 times)
Northerncartoonist

Copyright Contracts on the Internet?
« on: May 24th, 2006, 9:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Good morning,  
I am so glad I found this forum.  Ok, this is my diffuculty, I hope someone can assist.

I have a cartoon character that I created, a Magazine publisher is interested in the character, but I want to retain all the rights to the character, and wish to have a contract between myself and the Magazine publishing company.  

Looking to the internet, I have searched for a GENERIC contract to customize for protection of my cartoons, but am unsuccessful. Anyone point me in a direction to a Cartoon Publishing contract and/or Per usage agreement that I can customize?  

We do not have any Lawyers in our Location. I am also in Canada
IP Logged
JSonnabend

Email

Re: Copyright Contracts on the Internet?
« Reply #1 on: May 24th, 2006, 11:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This may come as no surprise, being that I am an IP lawyer, but I think it's foolish to say the least to use a "generic" contract to protect your interests.  How would you know if the "generic" contract contained the necessary provisions?  You'd certainly kick yourself later if you found you saved a few dollars using a"generic" contract only to have lost valuable rights to your work.

I suggest speaking to an attorney.  Contrary to popular belief, not all attorneys charge and arm and a leg.  My practice, for example, focuses on individuals, start-ups and smaller businesses, and my rates and billing practices reflect that.  Other practices are similar.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »