The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2019, 11:59am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Print Administrator’s Application of Copyright Law
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Print Administrator’s Application of Copyright Law  (Read 393 times)
dax

Print Administrator’s Application of Copyright Law
« on: May 8th, 2006, 9:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am fully aware that the copyright statutes clearly state that only the copyright owner or his agent can grant permission to produce a derivative arrangement of a composition under their control.  I’d like to present the following scenario/question to the legal minds in this forum.  

Hypothetical Scenario:  
Your daughter is getting married.  You hire a 12 piece band. Then you hire an arranger to prepare a very special arrangement of “Daddy’s Little Girl” for the band, so you can sing the song in your key to your daughter on her wedding day.   According to the statutes, this usage requires a permission to arrange license.  What if the administrator of the print rights simply denies a license for this usage.  Although the print administrator has the legal right to deny the usage, wouldn’t such an action by the print admin be unreasonable?  

Based on my research, on a daily basis, in every major city, numerous singers and  musicians commission music arrangers to prepare  arrangements of  standards.  Based on my research in Las Vegas and Los Angeles,  I discovered that arrangers do not submit permission to arrange requests to the appropriate administrator of the print rights.  

Questions:  Is there some provision in the statutes that does not require an arranger to obtain a license to create an arrangement?  If there is no provision to allow this deviation, can anyone explain the accepted licensing procedure, if any?   Does the administrator of print rights have any (written or unwritten) obligation to the public?

Thanks,  
Dax
IP Logged
Wolfcastle

Email

Re: Print Administrator’s Application of Copyright
« Reply #1 on: May 9th, 2006, 8:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Are you sure that the arrangers don't have licenses with copyright collectives?
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »