The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 26th, 2019, 7:39am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Newspaper headlines
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Newspaper headlines  (Read 3270 times)
Keith
Newspaper headlines
« on: May 4th, 2006, 7:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello,

I am wondering if a newspaper headline falls under copyright laws.  
I am putting together a small flash movie of newspaper headlines that will fade in and out relating to Underage Drinking in North Carolina.

It would be something very similiar to this: www.mudpc.org

Thank You,
Keith
IP Logged
Tomcat

Re: Newspaper headlines
« Reply #1 on: May 12th, 2006, 4:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Newpaper headlines are copyrighted as defined in contracts and company policy.

This sounds like an educational movie, not for profit and that would fall under fair use.

Quote:
TITLE 17 > CHAPTER 1 > § 107

§ 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use
Release date: 2005-08-01

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—
(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;
(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.  

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000107----0 00-.html

But this is no legal advice.
IP Logged
JSonnabend

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 12th, 2006, 7:52am »

Quote:
But this is no legal advice.

It's good that your not offering legal advice (it certainly sounded like it, though) because it's pretty much as incorrect as it is incomplete.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people say essentially, "I have no idea what I'm talking about, but here's my answer to your question."  Rightly or wrongly, people rely on the advice they receive in these forums in making decisions on their conduct.  Relying on blatantly wrong (or incomplete) advice masquerading as sage wisdom can land these people in a world of trouble -- real dollars and cents, lose your savings type trouble.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Keith
« Reply #3 on: May 12th, 2006, 1:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Ok  Huh

So what is the correct answer?
IP Logged
Tomcat

« Reply #4 on: May 13th, 2006, 9:08am »

on May 12th, 2006, 7:52am, JSonnabend wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people say essentially, "I have no idea what I'm talking about, but here's my answer to your question."  Rightly or wrongly, people rely on the advice they receive in these forums in making decisions on their conduct.  Relying on blatantly wrong (or incomplete) advice masquerading as sage wisdom can land these people in a world of trouble -- real dollars and cents, lose your savings type trouble.

- Jeff

Excellent point.

What was "blatantly wrong (or incomplete)", "incorrect as it is incomplete" and "advice masquerading as sage wisdom"?

Please complete this.

Is this NOT fair use?
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2006, 9:11am by Tomcat » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »