The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2020, 1:13am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Forum slander via creative manipulation of posts
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Forum slander via creative manipulation of posts  (Read 2507 times)
Tomcat

Re: Forum slander via creative manipulation of pos
« Reply #15 on: May 1st, 2006, 4:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on May 1st, 2006, 4:23pm, Isaac wrote:
One might well ask what would be accomplished by suing.   If the idea is to punish the defendant with civil process, an attorney would be ethically bound to bail on your case.

Thanks for the response.

In this example the idea is not to punish the defendant but to establish a legal precedent for this type of slander. There could potentially be benefits for all parties involved and all American citizen's. With a minimum cost.

Thanks for expounding it has been extremely helpful.
IP Logged
JSonnabend

Email

« Reply #16 on: May 2nd, 2006, 7:11am »

I disagree with Isaac that an attorney would be "ethically bound to bail on your case."  So long as there was a colorable cause of action, then motivations for the suit are largely besides the point.  As for using civil suits to "punish" a defendant, that's what punitive damages are.

Beyond that minor point, I agree entirely with Isaac.  You won't be awarded a penny, no less a dollar, without showing actual damages, and obtaining punitive damages and/or costs is highly unlikely, to say the least.

Finally, no attorney is going to do this for you for free, so Isaac's question is a good one.  How much do you expect your 1$ worth of justice to cost?  Even if you do this yourself, don't you have better things to do with your time than file a largely worthless lawsuit?

If you are really aggrieved by the admin's actions, then get him to change what he did.  A C&D letter is likely your best bet to accomplish this.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Isaac

« Reply #17 on: May 2nd, 2006, 7:33am »

on May 2nd, 2006, 7:11am, JSonnabend wrote:
I disagree with Isaac that an attorney would be "ethically bound to bail on your case."  So long as there was a colorable cause of action, then motivations for the suit are largely besides the point.  As for using civil suits to "punish" a defendant, that's what punitive damages are.

To clarify my position, I specifically referred to using "civil process" as a punitive measure being abusive, and did not refer to seeking compensatory or punitive damages.    

Obviously there is no problem with seeking a damage award through the courts.
IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »