The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 22nd, 2019, 11:03pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Copyright question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Copyright question  (Read 1410 times)
Brady S.
Copyright question
« on: Jan 10th, 2006, 12:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have a question that has been causing me some grief.  I have just finished writing a learn how to play guitar course.  I have copyrights on all of the arrangements of my songs, but all of the songs I have used, the words are copyrighted by someone else.

I am trying to figure out what I need to do so that I can legally sell my course and who I need to inform and who I owe what to for using their words, etc.  If someone would be willing to help me on this subject I would appreciate it a ton.

Also if you know where I need to look to get information on the subject that would be great, THANKS!

-Brady
IP Logged
JSonnabend

Email

Re: Copyright question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11th, 2006, 8:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Without an agreement with the author(s) of the lyrics, you'll be infringing copyrights by using the songs.  Generally speaking, you'll need to contact each song writer whose lyrics you used before launching your product.

- Jeff
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2006, 8:08am by JSonnabend » IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Brady S.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11th, 2006, 10:45am »

Thanks for your response.  

Now my course is no small work, its been 8 years in the making, I have 30 full length books with hundreds of songs in total.  My question is this, all of those songs are going to be owned by different people.  Do I really have to work with hundreds of different people and pay royalties to all of them, or is there some easier way that I can deal with this?

Also, if I do have to work with all of the different people, do you know how I can find out who owns what?
IP Logged
JSonnabend

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 12:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 11th, 2006, 10:45am, Brady S. wrote:
Do I really have to work with hundreds of different people and pay royalties to all of them?

You will need permission from each author.  Whether or not each demands a royalty is an open question.

My question to you is this: if this has been an eight year long project comprising what appears to be significant efforts on your part, why the delay in answering this question?  What made you address it now?

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Brady S.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 1:29pm »

Well, now that my course is completed and I have finished making the CDs that go along with each book it is ready to be marketed to large groups of people.  I have even just finished making a website for it.  

I have been invited to have a booth at the national music educators association fair being held in Salt Lake in a couple months.  I want to make sure that I am completly ready for the future so that I don't have any problems come up.

This is like the final thing I need to do so that my course is ready for sale in the future.  I appreciate your attention to my comments and want to make everything right and legal so that there are no problems in the future.

Do you know where I can find who owns the copyright to the words of songs?  Thanks again for you help and if you want to check out my stuff visit my website.

http://www.funfolkguitar.com
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »