The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2019, 10:45am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   photographs and artwork
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: photographs and artwork  (Read 1065 times)
gocougz

Email

photographs and artwork
« on: Dec 28th, 2005, 1:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Okay, I've read through several posts similar to mine but need a more straightforward answer.  

I'm an artist who draws what he sees, I do portraits and landscape/wildlife art. My problem is I don't have the means or the time to travel to get photographs of exotic places and/or wildlife in it's indigenous environment. If I found a photo of a place or animal that someone took, say on the internet or in a magazine, and I painted it and sold it or sold prints of it, would that be infringement?

IP Logged
Isaac

Re: photographs and artwork
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28th, 2005, 4:00pm »

Quite possibly the described activity could contribute infringement.    A photo would contain copyrightable and non copyrightable aspects.  Aspects of the photo that reflected creative choice by the photographer such as lighting, angles and perspective, what is in focus and what is not might all by copyrightable elements.  Duplicating them in your own work, absent some exception might could be actionable.

IP Logged

Isaac
JSonnabend

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29th, 2005, 7:43am »

I'll go a little farther out on a limb than Isaac.  I think, based on your description of what you intend to do, your use of the photographs would constitute copyright infringement that would not be excused as fair use.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
alekone
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 5:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I agree with you that gocougz's action could be an infringement.
but I wonder: when does it become a new work? if the "creative spark" is enough, isn't the painter creating an artwork that is not linked anymore with the original?
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #4 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 7:10am »

A creative work based on another creative work in the way described here is a derivative work.  Permission from the copyright owner of the base work is required just to create a derivative work.

I don't think that leaves any room for a dilution theory where a second person's creativity extinguishes the first person's rights.

IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »