The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 27th, 2020, 3:00pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   form copyright protection
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: form copyright protection  (Read 503 times)
Tom Ollie
form copyright protection
« on: Dec 28th, 2005, 9:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Can I register for copyright a document with blank spaces for filling in, and if so what extent of protection do I get?

In my example, I want to copyright a form contract that I use for many different customers.  It is the form that I want to protect, not each and every contract.  So can I get a registered copyright if I sent to the copyright office a document that says, "This contract is formed by and between ____ and _____ ...."  And if I do this, do I get protection if someone uses the form but then fills in the blank with names?

Asked a similar way, if I write (and register for copyright) a 500 page book about a person named Ted Smith, and then someone basically steals the entire book but changes Ted Smith to Bob Jones, are they infringing and to what degree is my copyright protected?
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: form copyright protection
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28th, 2005, 9:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A circular at www.copyright.gov that discusses copyrighting a form suggests that "Blank forms and similar works designed to record rather than to convey information cannot be protected by copyright."

Your contract form may have some copyrightable expression in it, but I suspect that the copyright protection on a contract is fairly narrow and might only protect against slavish copying.

Simply changing the name of a character in a book would still result in a large amount of copyrightable expression being copied and distributed.  Such activities would be infringement.

IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »