The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 29th, 2020, 12:51am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   How to display name on copyright notice?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How to display name on copyright notice?  (Read 585 times)
beth66

How to display name on copyright notice?
« on: Dec 18th, 2005, 12:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Need some help - thanks in advance.

I have copyrighted a series of small self published books (yep unique and qualifies for copyright protection) under my full name no company name.  Do I have to list my full name in the copyright notice on the book itself or can I use a partial name or initials?

copyright 2006 by Jane J. Doe?  or can it be just my initials or partial name?  copyright 2006 by J.J. Doe OR copyright 2006 by Doe  OR copyright 2006 by Jane D.?

I have searched everywhere with no luck.  I don't want anyone knowing I have started a new endeavor just yet and my full name is very unique.

Thank you!
IP Logged
beth66

oops 2005
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18th, 2005, 12:44pm »

It was just recently sent to copyright office so it will say 2005 not 2006 didn't want anyone to think I would use the wrong date.

Thanks
IP Logged
JSonnabend

Email

Re: How to display name on copyright notice?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 8:04am »

Beth -

Current US copyright law doesn't require any copyright notice, so by extension, I don't think the specific form of the copyright is critical (provided there is no intent to deceive, etc.).  Also, copyright registration is not necessary for an author to have copyright protection.

Finally, it is not necessary for a work to be "unique" to obtain copyright protection.  Indeed, two identical works may receive copyright protection for different authors in certain circumstances.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Isaac

« Reply #3 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 8:32am »

A relevant excerpt from section 401 of title 17 dealing with copyright notices.

§ 401. Notice of copyright: Visually perceptible copies

(a) General Provisions. — Whenever a work protected under this title is published in the United States or elsewhere by authority of the copyright owner, a notice of copyright as provided by this section may be placed on publicly distributed copies from which the work can be visually perceived, either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

(b) Form of Notice. — If a notice appears on the copies, it shall consist of the following three elements:

(1) the symbol © (the letter C in a circle), or the word “Copyright”, or the abbreviation “Copr.”; and

(2) the year of first publication of the work; in the case of compilations or derivative works incorporating previously published material, the year date of first publication of the compilation or derivative work is sufficient. The year date may be omitted where a pictorial, graphic, or sculptural work, with accompanying text matter, if any, is reproduced in or on greeting cards, postcards, stationery, jewelry, dolls, toys, or any useful articles; and

(3) the name of the owner of copyright in the work, or an abbreviation by which the name can be recognized, or a generally known alternative designation of the owner.

If you are going to use a notice (and it is generally a good idea to do so for a published book) I'd recommend doing it as the statute says it "shall" be done.  Notice that the year to be used is the year of first publication and *not* the date of registration or creation of the work.  Also the statute allows the owner's name to be abbreviated.
IP Logged

Isaac
beth66

« Reply #4 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 11:49am »

Thank you SO much for your help.  I really do appreciate it!

Happy Holidays!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »