The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 26th, 2021, 12:17am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   What constitutes distribution
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What constitutes distribution  (Read 511 times)
Nu Ventur
What constitutes distribution
« on: Dec 5th, 2005, 10:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi:

I am working with some opensource software.  It requires that if it is "distributed", that I need to inclue their statement that it is opensource and also give back any improvements to it to the world at large.

I will be only using the software to provide a web based service which uses for part of its functionality the open source code.

I want to confirm that this would not constitute a "distribution" as it is merely a use, or does the fact that I sell services using the software means I have to give up all the surrounding code to open source.

Thank so much for your insights.
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: What constitutes distribution
« Reply #1 on: Dec 6th, 2005, 1:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Interesting question.  Distribution may be used in a sense determined by copyright law, or one which is enforced by the terms of the license.  It would be helpful in answering your question to know the details of the license in question.

As an example though, I don't believe such a use would constitute distribution as defined in the FSF's GPL v2, however it is rumored that GPL v3 will attempt to address the issue of web based services.

IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »