The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 25th, 2021, 11:16pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Seeking advice on similarity
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Seeking advice on similarity  (Read 476 times)
tom

Seeking advice on similarity
« on: Dec 2nd, 2005, 11:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but I was curious as to how copyright laws apply to something created that reminds people of another product.  I was wondering what the boundries are, especially in the area of toy-making.  For example, if I created a robot-man that changed into some other form (vehicle or animal, whatever), or something along those lines, would the company that produces the official 'Transformers' toyline be able to legally block me from creating my own line?

To the best of my knowledge, you can't copyright an idea, so I'm presuming the concept of form-changing robots isn't something I could get into trouble over.

Now I'm not talking about taking their product and altering it, I mean creating an original story, original characters and creating the toys through my own means.  

Is this possible?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Tom
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: Seeking advice on similarity
« Reply #1 on: Dec 3rd, 2005, 7:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You could not protect such an idea using copyright law. A patent or patents might carve out methods of transforming which you must avoid, but almost certainly would not exclude all such toys.
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2005, 8:14am by Isaac » IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »