The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 26th, 2021, 12:14am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   PLEASE HELP, how do I copywrite a load of beats
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: PLEASE HELP, how do I copywrite a load of beats  (Read 476 times)
Olivier Charbonneau
PLEASE HELP, how do I copywrite a load of beats
« on: Dec 2nd, 2005, 2:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi!!! Im freaking out a little bit... I am a music artist, i make beats, and i compose lyrics... The thing is, i've actually made alot of beats, and i would like to eventually start selling them, but i am scarred that i might get ripped off. Even worse, i let a few of my friends have copies of some of them for writing purposes and just recently found out they've been guetting played at clubs for live performances!!! So theres a few questions i would be greatfull if they could get answered.. First off, poor man's copywrite, if i get 1, than some1 else actually copywrites its, theirs overpass mine rightHuh What about if i have the original format of the beat (the program files, Data files, or the hardware i made it with), does that matterHuh Another question i have is if some1 copywrites my beat before I do, they can sue me rightHuh and finally, if any1 knows of any Copywriting Agencys in Canada, or good music copywriting websites, would you please let me know? I'd really appreciate it, this is kind of a desperate measure for me, it needs to get done and fast... Thank you for your help. -Olivier
IP Logged
JSonnabend

Email

Re: PLEASE HELP, how do I copywrite a load of beat
« Reply #1 on: Dec 2nd, 2005, 8:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

First and (perhaps) foremost, tere is not such animal as "poor man's copyrights".

Based on my understanding of your works, you'd be looking to register copyrights in sound recordings.  Check out  the Copyright Office Website for plain-English explanations of filing for registration of these works.  See this circular for information on sound recording registrations.

Once you have your registration in hand -- and in some jurisdictions, before then -- you can sue for infringement if need be.  Before that, you can approach the infringers, either on your own or through an attorney, to try to get some royalties, etc. for the use of your work.

- Jeff
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2005, 8:26am by JSonnabend » IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Olivier Charbonneau
Re: PLEASE HELP, how do I copywrite a load of beat
« Reply #2 on: Dec 3rd, 2005, 10:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thank you very much!!!! thats very usefull!!!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »