The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 8th, 2020, 4:53am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Forum/BB Postings
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Forum/BB Postings  (Read 1361 times)
A. Nony Mouse
Forum/BB Postings
« on: Aug 18th, 2005, 5:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

This is a GENERIC question, and I know specifics are devilish but I'm looking for a principle here.

If a member with no other business relationship joins a free net-based forum and posts messages there, does the member or the forum have IP rights in the messages' content?  The forum sign-up agreement and rules are silent on this, but they do assert the forum owners' right to delete messages found offensive, etc.
IP Logged
mactheknife

Re: Forum/BB Postings
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 9:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The general rule is, if you write something, you own it unless you transfer it by written agreement or operation of law (for example, bankruptcy or inheritance after you die).  So, if neither of these things have occurred, you own what you wrote.  That said, I hear a follow-up to your question coming...
IP Logged
A. Nony Mouse
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 9:04am »

If you insist...  Wink

No, no more questions at this time; that was what I thought and that's how I am going to assume.  

My dealings as the author with the site are still informal if not amicable, but he doesn't want to "lawyer up" any more than I do.
IP Logged
julie
« Reply #3 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 1:40am »

HELP -  

I posted a message on a Yahoo group, regarding an upcomming bill in CA.  Someone took my message and used a lot of my sentences along w/ their own ad is making it as theirs and sending it as a letter to the editor of one of the local news papers.

What can I do about this?  I am thinking of publically noting this, since this person copied it off of one forum and forward their letter to the editor to several others, including the one they saw my posting on.

Thanks.
IP Logged
JSonnabend

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 6:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

What are your damages?

IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA