The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 17th, 2020, 7:39pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Newspaper re-used my advert for someone else...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Newspaper re-used my advert for someone else...  (Read 513 times)
Bobinovich
Newspaper re-used my advert for someone else...
« on: Jun 10th, 2005, 3:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Back in February I designed, as a favour, an advert for a friend to be used in our local newspaper.  The advert contained a photograph (taken by the friend), text (written by the friend), and a photo-montage (using the aforementioned photo but with some distinctive modifications, all of which I added).

Because of the controversial nature of the advert I did not include copyright information as I didn't want to be linked the the friend's group in that way.

I found out this week that the same newspaper has re-used the advert for one of their own clients but they've changed some of the text and added some additional elements to the photo-montage.  Before you ask it was the newspaper themselves who modified the design.

I contacted the paper and they've admitted to their mistake claiming pressure from their client, personnel problems and deadline pressures.

By way of compensation they've offered me an apology and free advertising!  They say they thought the advert was designed by my friend and that he wouldn't be bothered about it's reuse under the circumstances.  It's true that he doesn't mind the re-use of their photo or text as it helps his group.  But as a professional designer I feel I must come down on them hard, regardless of the circumstances.

I've no use for advertising as I'm over-busy anyway.

What do you think I should do?
IP Logged
Bobinovich

Re: Newspaper re-used my advert for someone else..
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10th, 2005, 4:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I should mention that this is in the UK but I'd be grateful for any advice on this matter.
IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: Newspaper re-used my advert for someone else..
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11th, 2005, 6:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It sounds like the newspaper ad caused you no significant damage.  They've admitted their error and offered you a settlement.  My suggestion is to be gracious, and accept their offer.  You can donate the advertising space to the charity of your choice.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »