The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 8th, 2020, 5:15am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Protecting a "how to" web article
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Protecting a "how to" web article  (Read 1076 times)
onceburned

Re: Protecting a "how to" web article
« Reply #5 on: Jun 13th, 2005, 2:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I guess my question now is, whether or not the text of the article may be copyrightable, the photos and drawings I used in it always will be if they were all created by me and me alone.

That said, is there any difference in the federal protection afforded me if I register at least the 14 photos and 4 drawings I used. Should someone copy the article for sale they would have to copy the pictures and graphics or the article is meaningless.

Am I any less protected if the article's text is not considered copyrightable in this case?

Finally, should someone steal my work would there be a single copyright violation for the whole work or 18 counts for illegal use of all the pics and drawings.  

My guess... only a single count if they were filed under a single application form  Wink
IP Logged
mactheknife

« Reply #6 on: Jun 14th, 2005, 12:08pm »

Jeff, I apologize for mis-paraphrasing your post.  What I meant was that the same standard applies whether the article is about constructing household items, painting a fence, baseball in the 1950's or the best way to sell plush toys on eBay.  Tongue  That said, I have never seen an "article" (in the news/information sense of the word) where the expression is so tied to the idea to render it uncopyrightable.  Boxscores and ingredient lists don't count.   Grin

As far as litigation goes, I will defer to the lawyers on this board and also recommend it's best to see an attorney for personal advice about your situation.  I will say, though, that it is very common for large music publishing companies (EMI, etc.) to register a number of published songs on a single application.  I'm sure they consider each work to be separate, and if every song were infringed, they would go for 2 (4, 6, 8...) "counts" of copyright infringement, not just one.  Or at least they would throw a $#!+ fit if it were considered only one... heh
IP Logged
JSonnabend

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 15th, 2005, 7:15am »

No offense taken Wink.

on Jun 14th, 2005, 12:08pm, mactheknife wrote:
That said, I have never seen an "article" (in the news/information sense of the word) where the expression is so tied to the idea to render it uncopyrightable.

Do a quick Westlaw search on recipe/cookbook copyrights.  Most recipes are entitled to little if any protection -- that's the ingredient list and the instructions.  After all, how many ways are there to tell someone to break an egg?

- Jef
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »