The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 10th, 2020, 7:54am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Email Jokes?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Email Jokes?  (Read 2503 times)
Isaac

Re: Email Jokes?
« Reply #5 on: May 18th, 2005, 7:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I wouldn't think laches likely to be an issue with this set
of facts.  Just because someone has no issue with their work
being posted on the Internet does not mean they don't want
a cut of a book published with those jokes.  Also, the author
would have very little ability to policy emailings of his
jokes between private parties.
IP Logged

Isaac
IP Attorney
« Reply #6 on: May 19th, 2005, 9:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I don't understand your reasoning.  The whole concept of laches/estoppel is to provide an equitable defense against a copyright holder doing nothing over a certain period of time to protect his/her rights.  These scenario seems entirely possible if the patent holder has knowledge (through a cursory Google search) that his/her jokes are all over the net.  I don't see how the facts the OP presented can so easily lead you to conclude that laches is not available.

I would be very surprised if the email jokes the OP received were simply emails between private parties, as you suggest.  A more likely scenario is that the jokes were sent through mass mailings (which is the way I receive these kinds of jokes) and are publicly and readily available on blogs, message boards, and other sites with unfettered public access.
IP Logged
JSonnabend

Email

« Reply #7 on: May 19th, 2005, 9:12am »

Patent holder?  Google search of email?  I think you have some homework to do before advising clients on this one.

Laches is an equitable defense, and so the equities must be balanced.  I think a court would quickly excuse inaction over non-commercial email "publication" in an action concerning commercial, in-print publication.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
IP Attorney
« Reply #8 on: May 19th, 2005, 9:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I should register so I can modify.  I apologize for the typo.  And I thought this was a forum for discussion rather than a determination of ability to advise clients.  I was simply bringing up an alternate point although I readily admit it isn't the strongest, and both you and Mr. Clark have brought up good points.  No need for the extra commentary.
IP Logged
Sonia

« Reply #9 on: May 19th, 2005, 10:50am »

Yes, the email jokes were received via "mass email" and numerous forwarded emails (I detest non-formatted forwards) and I've just been shoving them into a file as I receive them.  Many of them have come around the world  three or four times now.

So, my layman's understanding of laches is that, even though the original authors of the jokes have done nothing in the past to stop the reproduction of  their work (in this case via email), that if I put the jokes into book form, that the authors can bring suit for copyright infringement?

So, methinks it would be best to stay away from the whole idea and keep out of trouble.  Grin

Thank you for all your time and replies.  Smiley

« Last Edit: May 19th, 2005, 10:53am by Sonia » IP Logged

Visions of Fantasy
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »