The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 17th, 2020, 8:29pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Use of Company's Toys in Baby's Developmental Vid
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Use of Company's Toys in Baby's Developmental Vid  (Read 649 times)
Ryan Neider
Use of Company's Toys in Baby's Developmental Vid
« on: Apr 19th, 2005, 9:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Right now I am working on a baby's developmental video ala "Baby Einstein." Half of it will be computer animation but for the other half I would like to film real world objects. Some of the things I would like to use are kinetic toys, lava lamps, and maybe even other types of toys like spinning tops or yo-yos. If I use other peoples toys in this video will I get sued?  

I have no idea how Baby Einstein worked it out. On their first video she had like ten different company's toys on their video. During the end credits she did give them credit but I just can't imagine that all ten compan'y gave her permission to use their toys. I have heard of no lawsuits against them and trust me they have money to go after. They even had a Coca-Cola Polar Bear toy that blew bubbles but they had whited out the Coke logo on it. I don't know if that was their way around being able to use it legaly. So that is my question, to use toys in my video can I use them if there are no logos showing or do I need to get written permission from a company even if a comapany's logo is not visible on the toy?  

I would really appreciate any good insight on this and recommendations to other websites or publications that discuss matters like this.
IP Logged
JSonnabend

Email

Re: Use of Company's Toys in Baby's Developmental
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19th, 2005, 12:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ryan -

You raise a question that on its face appears simple but is actually anything but.

First, regarding visually recording kinetic toys a la Baby Einstein, you may run into copyright infringement issues, depending in large part on how the toy is shown (e.g., alone or in the context of a larger, more complex scene).  My guess is that the Baby Einstein creator (now owned by Disney, I believe), sought and received permission from the manufacturers provided she gave credit.  The manufacturers received some free advertising that way.

Regarding the logos, again, the answer depends in part on the nature of the use, but if the logo is featured prominently, there may be tm infringement issues in the nature of improper implied endorsements or the like.

My advice, as it is so often, is that if you're serious, you spend the money up front to fully explore with a qualified attorney your business risks and approaches, rather than move forward without doing so only to be slapped later with lawsuits from several pissed-off corporations with deep pockets.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
John Baumchen
« Reply #2 on: May 30th, 2005, 5:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

As a video producer, I would approach the toy manufacturers and ask them if they would like to be a sponsor of the video in return for their products being displayed.

Of course once they say yes, they might want some say in the script and such. JSonnabend hit it with the publicity thing. As long as you're not showing babies being hurt with the toys, then I don't see why they would object. Unless it's a safety video showing how babies are being hurt by their toys. Then it's a documentary.

My suggestion would be to approach them and ask them. If they say no, you can always blur the logo in post.
IP Logged
JSonnabend

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 31st, 2005, 7:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on May 30th, 2005, 5:23pm, John Baumchen wrote:
If they say no, you can always blur the logo in post.

That approach addresses only the tm issue, not any copyright issue.
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »