The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 18th, 2014, 9:01pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Fair Use of a Logo?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fair Use of a Logo?  (Read 2381 times)
Glenn Cowen
Fair Use of a Logo?
« on: Oct 7th, 2004, 10:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am a sports documentary film producer and I am putting together a documentary on some of the great high school basketball players of the last 10 years.  My question concerns the use of high school logos for some cover art we would like to create:

The artwork will be an illustration piece reproducing the high school jerseys of some of the notable players featured in the film.  Basically, I want to know, can I do this without violating any copyrights/trademarks the school may have in and to their school jersey logos, or is there a fair use qualification that would allow me to do this?  

Its not like I'm trying to sell replicas, I just want to create artwork that incorporates their logos.

Thanks!

Glenn Cowen
glenn@ross-productions.com

IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: Fair Use of a Logo?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 2:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

That's an interesting question.  It's unlikely that high schools would have aggressive enforcement campaigns on their logos (as trademarks or as copyrighted material).  However, if Disney made a movie that thoroughly exploited a high school logo and made lots of money, you can reasonably expect that the school -- most likely having fiscal issues -- would like to see some of that money.

What you have going for you is (i) you're making a documentary which is like news footage and (ii) you're using the logos within the movie to describe the schools themselves.  For example, I can use the Honda trademark to describe Honda cars.  That's what the trademark is for.

Putting the school logos on your promotional materials (cover art) puts you in a bit of a grey area.  They could argue that you're using their logos to sell your movie and/or to suggest endorsement by the school.  I think your position is stronger if you use photographs of signs at the schools themselves rather than reproducing the logo itself.  

On the positive sign, it shouldn't be that hard to ask the schools for permission.  Hopefully, enough of them will consent to fill your cover art.

Good luck!
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
JSonnabend

Email

Re: Fair Use of a Logo?
« Reply #2 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 2:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I concur with Jim's analysis.

You can also do some legal research (or ask an attorney to do so for you) to see if any cases with similar fact patterns have been published.  This may help to "un-grey" some of the "grey" areas.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »