The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 21st, 2019, 4:08pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Sharing music
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sharing music  (Read 481 times)
JR
Sharing music
« on: Oct 6th, 2004, 10:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Is it legal to burn privately owned cd's for personal use?  If so, can I then give these copies to a friend for free?  When does music sharing become illiegal?  Thank you for all help in this area.
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: Sharing music
« Reply #1 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 2:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Giving copies to your friends is quite clearly illegal.  Playing the music from the original CD requires copying of the digital bits of music into the player for processing.  That's quite clearly okay.

In the middle is making a disk copy for yourself.  I did that just yesterday because the original was starting to skip in my old player and my computer could read it just fine.  I suppose now that I've posted this, the RIAA will be looking for me shortly.  Wink

How 'bout ripping your CD and coping the MP3s to an MP3 player?  That seems to be okay but not everyone agrees about that.  

When I was young, the issue was about recording cassettes of your CDs so you can hear your CDs in the car (there weren't any car players back then -- way back about the time the printing press was invented).  Wink  The official statement of the recording industry then was that such was illegal and you had to buy a prerecorded tape in addition to the CD.  Of course, they used cheap, thin, fragile, non-metal tape without any noise-suppression technology, and we had no choice but to accept that.  The controversy led to improvements in prerecorded tapes.

Until recently, you couldn't buy MP3s, so I'd say ripping was okay.  However, don't be surprised if you hear music industry reps tell you that you have to buy the MP3s, even if you already paid for the CD.  And, can you copy the MP3 to your portable player, your computer, and your car player?  That's 3 copies!  Don't be surprised to hear that's illegal too.  I don't think it is, but giving just one copy to your friend probably is.

Sorry the answer isn't more definite.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »