The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 17th, 2019, 5:13am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   cards and designs: copyright?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: cards and designs: copyright?  (Read 1420 times)
k_p

cards and designs: copyright?
« on: Apr 19th, 2004, 5:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Im starting my own card business, I know I should have the name of my business or logo copyrighted, but do I need the design on my card to be copyrighted as well? If so, what are the necessary steps to get this done? The company and the designs. And if each card has a different design, does this mean I have to have each design registered?
Thanks
k
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2004, 5:27pm by k_p » IP Logged
Dave41

Re: cards and designs: copyright?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20th, 2004, 10:43am »

The logo and name of your company would be trademarked not copyrighted (though the logo may also be copyrightable). If you haven't already, you should probably do some research to ensure that the name and logo you have selected are not already in use by another person/company in a similar line of business.  
As for the designs of your cards, your work is copyrighted once you fix it in a tangible medium (physically create the design rather than have the design in your head). You can register the work and registration gives you some rights that you would not otherwise have.
IP Logged
k_p

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20th, 2004, 5:17pm »

Thanks for your response! So, I have to have my logo copyrighted, but my designs are already copyrighted once I put it onto the card itself. Does my design itsleff have to have a "C" next to it? Or can i just add a line of copy on the back letting people know the design has been copyrighted?
Oh, and how do I find out if someone already has my name or the design? Is there a site? Or do I have to hire someone?
Thanks once again.
IP Logged
M. Arthur Auslander

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 21st, 2004, 5:30am »

Yes. You should know what your doing, if you are in business, how to protect what you have with a trademark and copyrights and how to save money on copyrights even though they are basically inexpensive.
Better avoid trademark infringement too.
IP Logged

M. Arthur Auslander
Auslander & Thomas-Intellectual Property Law
3008 Johnson Ave., New York, NY 10463
7185430266, aus@auslander.com
Reality Check® ELAINE's Workshop®
Dave41

« Reply #4 on: Apr 21st, 2004, 11:34am »

Your logo does not need to be registered either. If the logo is sufficiently creative, it will receive copyright protection once you "fix it in a tangible medium," or make a physical respresentation of the logo.  
You can do a trademark search yourself. However, an experienced lawyer may offer more peace of mind that the search was done thoroughly. Perhaps you should do a preliminary search on your own and when you feel you have a good name/logo, you should go to an attorney.
You can start by searching at the Patent and Trademark site www.uspto.gov. You should also look up your state's trademark registry and do an internet search for companies with a similar name.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »