The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2019, 10:27am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Question on infringement...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Question on infringement...  (Read 1861 times)
nobody

Re: Question on infringement...
« Reply #10 on: Apr 15th, 2004, 9:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I wasn't at all implying that you were confused. I just figured you answered the question on-the-fly. Your first reply stated "Your search means very little.  A software program might contain trade secrets and be copyright protected." rather than directly answering the question about linking. Why bring that up there?

Maybe the question really IS about a software program on training rather than online pages on training. He could have been more clear. However it seems evident that simply linking to legal content is not copyright infringement, otherwise I have just infringed...

http://www.chillingeffects.org/linking/faq.cgi
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #11 on: Apr 15th, 2004, 2:50pm »

on Apr 15th, 2004, 9:53am, nobody wrote:
I wasn't at all implying that you were confused. I just figured you answered the question on-the-fly. Your first reply stated "Your search means very little.  A software program might contain trade secrets and be copyright protected." rather than directly answering the question about linking. Why bring that up there?

Maybe the question really IS about a software program on training rather than online pages on training. He could have been more clear. However it seems evident that simply linking to legal content is not copyright infringement, otherwise I have just infringed...

http://www.chillingeffects.org/linking/faq.cgi

My point was only that trade secret and copyright protection were not mutually exclusive.   I gave an example using software after the original poster asked about trade secret protection.    

Actually, if someone spells out  the entire program on a public web page, it does not seem feasible to argue that they have maintained the secrecy required for trade secret protection.

I don't think you are mistaken in saying that a computer program is not involved here.
IP Logged

Isaac
Isaac

« Reply #12 on: Apr 15th, 2004, 2:57pm »

I have seen a number of sites that have notices on them requiring that you seek permission before linking to them.   For example, NPR used to have such a published policy, although they changed it after receiving some negative feedback about it.

I don't believe that a copyright infringement suit would work ot prevent linking to a copyrighted work, but maybe some kind of unauthorized access suit might work if the link on your page significantly increased traffic to their site, or if the link bypassed the front door of a site which required registration or even pay for access.

IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »