The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 23rd, 2020, 4:41am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Help! My idea was stolen.  Do I have any reco
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help! My idea was stolen.  Do I have any reco  (Read 496 times)
Feel Cheated
Help! My idea was stolen.  Do I have any reco
« on: Apr 7th, 2004, 2:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am hoping that you can help me.  I work as a teacher for a very large company that teaches classes and publishes books to assist students taking standardized exams.  This company has a message board for teachers to help other teachers.  It is not available to the general public.  On one post, I posted a specific method I devised to help these students.  I developed this method from my own research on my own time.    

This company now published a book for their course using my method.  Parts of the method are copied word-for-word from this post into their book.  The parts that are not word-for-word are paraphrased.  They never contacted me about using it.  They also never paid me for it.  I certainly did not give them my permission.  However, in the front of the book, they added my name as a person they wanted to thank.  Obviously, this confirms that they took my idea.  

I work a couple hours a month for this company and get paid by the hour.  It is not part of my job to develop their curriculum.  They have full-time staff which does this.  They do have people freelance for them.  In these cases, they pay the freelancers.  The freelancers also have to sign a contract allowing for their work to be published.  I never signed such a contract.

What are my rights?  My method was not copyrighted.  But can they just steal it like that?  Isn't that plagarism?  Help.  I really need some legal advice.

IP Logged
M. Arthur Auslander

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Help! My idea was stolen.  Do I have any reco
« Reply #1 on: Apr 7th, 2004, 2:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Early Legal Advice Is Not Expensive. There may have been little or no protection that you could have gotten. Just posting and idea that is not patentable is probably a legitimate give away.
IP Logged

M. Arthur Auslander
Auslander & Thomas-Intellectual Property Law
3008 Johnson Ave., New York, NY 10463
7185430266, aus@auslander.com
Reality Check® ELAINE's Workshop®
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »