The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2020, 12:22am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   joint ownership
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: joint ownership  (Read 1277 times)
musiclawboy

joint ownership
« on: Mar 24th, 2004, 6:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

If I'm correct in understanding copyright law, if a lyricist intends for music to be written to lyrics at the time the lyrics are created, the individual who writes the music is a joint owner of the lyric, even though the lyricist may not approve of the music. Therefore, does it make sense to say, "If I intend for music to be written to my lyrics after the lyric is created, I may reject music written to my lyric and retain sole ownership of the lyric?"
IP Logged
cloneman

Re: joint ownership
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26th, 2004, 6:49pm »

Actually, under the copyright law a joint work is "a work prepared by two or more authors with the intention that their contributions be merged into inseparable or interdependent parts of a unitary whole."  

I would argue that if you don't like the music, you don't intend it to be merged with your lyrics, and thus the composer would have no copyright claim to your lyrics absent the consensual combination of the lyrics and music.

Note, I am not arguing from case law, but from a "ordinary language" interpretation of the statute.
IP Logged
M. Arthur Auslander

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: joint ownership
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27th, 2004, 7:30am »

Dear Musiclawboy,

Without taking professional responsibility, it is my understanding of the law that the lyrics can stand alone even when to music not owned.
IP Logged

M. Arthur Auslander
Auslander & Thomas-Intellectual Property Law
3008 Johnson Ave., New York, NY 10463
7185430266, aus@auslander.com
Reality Check® ELAINE's Workshop®
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »