The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 24th, 2020, 10:36pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Copyright
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Copyright  (Read 586 times)
Eal

Copyright
« on: Jan 25th, 2004, 7:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey Guys!  

I went to a music group website where they had a photo galary, lyrics and other sections. I saw couple pictures that I liked and thought to copy those pictures on my computer (just the group picture of the band) for pleasure (not commercial or for reproducing purposes).

The website was created in the flash program which does not let you copy any picture or any other file of the website.  

I wrote an email to the band asking a way to copy a picture of yours. I got an email back from them,  

"yes, the website is made with flash, and thats one way for us to protect the various files on it- photos, lyrics, etc. and maintain copyright. At this point we don't have any commercially available posters/pictures, but we will have an album out soon which will have some photos of us and our fans in the sleeve."

Offcourse, it is there website and there pictures and they can implement any policy they want. However, generally speaking, it was my understanding that I could copy pictures off any music band website and copy any lyrics on my computer. I must also add here that, on the website there was no sign of anything to do with copyrights.

My question is, when I go to any similar website, according to copyright rules, can I copy pictures and lyrics on my computer? Or I always need to read their copyright policy or ask them first?

IP Logged
M. Arthur Auslander

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Copyright
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26th, 2004, 5:57am »

Dear Eal,
My understanding of what you seem to want to do looks like copyright infringement.

IP Logged

M. Arthur Auslander
Auslander & Thomas-Intellectual Property Law
3008 Johnson Ave., New York, NY 10463
7185430266, aus@auslander.com
Reality Check® ELAINE's Workshop®
nobody

« Reply #2 on: Jan 26th, 2004, 2:55pm »

It is interesting that they are stored in your Windows cache folder anyway. Is that infringement?
IP Logged
Eal

« Reply #3 on: Jan 26th, 2004, 5:18pm »

Thanks for you opinion M_Arthur_Auslander. I wonder if you can direct me to some documentation that supports your opinion.  

Thanks!

Eal
IP Logged
M. Arthur Auslander

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26th, 2004, 5:43pm »

Dear Eal,
Title 17 U.S.C.
IP Logged