The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 24th, 2020, 10:45pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
   Other
   Copyright Forum
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Copyright on website submissions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Copyright on website submissions  (Read 1033 times)
Forum Admin
Administrator

Email

Re: Copyright on website submissions
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24th, 2003, 3:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Dec 16th, 2003, 6:29pm, Late but Hoping-to-Help wrote:
May I suggest to the site owner or Moderator that someone insert the word "Canada" somewhere on the page.   Google searches bring others to the forums and until I did a whois search and found the intelproplaw.com domain was registered under a Canadian address, I thought I'd found an incredible amount of misinformation about intellectual property issues.

The forums are intended to provide a "forum" for those who wish to discuss intellectual property issues.  Except for postings that are blatantly offensive, it is our policy to not censure the posts.   Late but Hoping-to-Help: if you are finding misinformation being posted to the forums then feel free to provide correct information.  

The fact that the domain name is registered to a Canadian address has nothing to do with the operation of the website or the forums.
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2003, 6:34pm by Forum Admin » IP Logged
M. Arthur Auslander

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Copyright on website submissions
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25th, 2003, 9:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

From the postings it seems as if the concept of copyright is not clear. It is my unresearched belief, and I don't want to spend the time to research it, that nationally and internationally copyright protects the "mode of expression".  

Thus the ideas expressed are not protectable by use of the copyright law domestically or internationally. The mode of expression, the way the words are set forth is copyrightable.

For the copyright the author must lay claim, and register to enforce. The subject matter is not part of the copyright.

Enforecement of copyright rights requires registration, nationally even if there are multinational uses and the copyright notice may give international rights, though registration must be national.

As I understand it, in Great Britain no copyright notice is necessary and registration may not even be required. But the Universal Copyright Convention does, as I understand it require and "c" in a circle to be effective, notwithstanding the need to register nationally , if required by local law.

Years ago I registered copyright on a motion picture made in Jamaica. It was my understanding that at that time there was no copyright law in Jamaica. I believe there is one now.

I did not doubt the validity of the United States copyright and the effect of the need for a statutory copyright notice to protect the work in the United States and the need for national registrations in order to protect the work country by country. Incicentally I am not sure of the protection of a work in Great Britain, or England and or registration with the treaty "c" in a circle.

I'm not going to do the research.  

P.S. So what if the prorietor of this website is a Canadian.

« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2004, 2:19pm by M. Arthur Auslander » IP Logged

M. Arthur Auslander
Auslander & Thomas-Intellectual Property Law
3008 Johnson Ave., New York, NY 10463
7185430266, aus@auslander.com
Reality Check® ELAINE's Workshop®
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »