The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2019, 2:23pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Bar Questions
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   How to Study for the Patent Bar
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How to Study for the Patent Bar  (Read 13049 times)
jared51182

How to Study for the Patent Bar
« on: Jun 11th, 2007, 7:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am beginning to study for the bar, and I was curious if there was a strategy out there for the studying.  I have read, just read the MPEP and the relevant code and rules.  Is there an appropriate place to start?  And then just tackle as many prior exams as possible.  Is that all there is to it?  Thank you.
IP Logged
ks1969

Email

Re: How to Study for the Patent Bar
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15th, 2007, 5:00pm »

I passed the patent bar in April 07.  The exam is based on the MPEP but MPEP does have a lot of material.  I don't think I could have just read it and passed the exam or read it and understand the questions fully on the exam.

I would recommend getting study material, a review course like PLI or PRG (Prof Kayton)  I bought a used one on ebay (the PRG), studied that and took old exams.  What I noticed is that there are repeat questions on the patent bar but the exams are from Oct 2003 and before.  So a lot of questions were new on the patent bar.  Overall its a very hard exam and a lot of material to know, but not impossible.

So if you think you know the material now, try out an old exam and grade it.  When I started practice exams, I started at high 60 percent but near the end I was doing high 90 %.  But for sure didn't get >90 on real thing.  Hope that helps
IP Logged
biopico

« Reply #2 on: Jun 15th, 2007, 7:39pm »

on Jun 11th, 2007, 7:42pm, jared51182 wrote:
I am beginning to study for the bar, and I was curious if there was a strategy out there for the studying.  I have read, just read the MPEP and the relevant code and rules.  Is there an appropriate place to start?  And then just tackle as many prior exams as possible.  Is that all there is to it?  Thank you.

Being able to understand the previous exam questions is important and also being able to look for the answers in the MPEP is equally important.

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
Todd Smith
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17th, 2007, 9:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi,

I passed the patent bar in March 2007.  The exam is actually fairly easy considering all you have to do is solve about 1000 old questions to pass and look up the correct answer when you get one wrong.

Go to websites such as patentbarquestions dot com or bullzeye dot com the questions are free or only cost like $30 total.  

Of course you have to be diligent when doing these question but overall there are harder tests out there.

Good luck and let us know when you have passed.  Oh those other course are good, but they try to teach you how to practice which is not what you need to know in order simply pass.  The only way to learn how to practice is under the supervision of someone who has 10-20 years of experience and is willing to teach you.
IP Logged
IP4me

« Reply #4 on: Aug 10th, 2007, 1:33am »

I was able to find several study guide online.  Search google for patent bar outline and several should pop up.  Some are very good guides to begin studyng with.
IP Logged

J. Watts
Patent Agent
Patent Professionals LLC
Affordable Patent Agents and Attorneys
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »